What's new
Carbonite

Welcome to Carbonite! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading - yay or nay

Rambo.T

Junior Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Sep 11, 2017
Messages
30
Reaction score
9
Points
345
Location
Port Elizabeth
Hi guys,

Well not to waste anytime lets get straight in to it.

As per title I am currently in two minds regarding upgrading my PC.

Current specs :

intel i7 6700K - not overclocked
MSI B150 gaming M3
16Gb 2133MHZ RAM in 2x4GB 1x8Gb (yes I know).

I am looking at upgrading to :

intel i9 9900K
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3200MHz Black (2x8GB)
Cost : R15,500

My question is, is it worth upgrading now with Intel launching their new 10nm CPU's which will also mean new boards or should I just wait it out?

I am not in that much of a rush to upgrade so can wait a bit if it would be worth the wait.

Also realistically what would I get for the current components should I decide to sell them?

Not interested in AMD.
I use the computer for gaming mostly.
Goal is to be able to play 2K or 4K @60+ FPS for the next couple of years - I have the GPU to back up the rest of the system.
Not in to competitive gaming so 144hz etc. is not a concern for me.

Looking forward to your opinions and help.

Thanks guys.
 

Valheru

Dark Elf
VIP Supporter
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Joined
Jun 12, 2017
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
829
Points
1,865
My question is, is it worth upgrading now with Intel launching their new 10nm CPU's which will also mean new boards or should I just wait it out?
Well you have a decent system, so might as well wait a month or so and see what happens with team blue.

Rumor suggests new boards/chipsets and a 10-core joining the mainstream lineup. Even if these might not be your cup of team, a price drop might be very worthwhile to wait for.
 

adamr

VIP
VIP Supporter
Rating - 100%
101   0   0
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
3,251
Reaction score
688
Points
2,835
Location
Fourways, Johannesburg
Id wait ... Unless you getting the new system at a great discounted price ... But don't rush into it

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
 

SynicalFox

Casual Gamer
VIP Supporter
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Joined
Dec 26, 2014
Messages
1,569
Reaction score
401
Points
1,965
Location
Pietermaritzburg
Hi guys,

Well not to waste anytime lets get straight in to it.

As per title I am currently in two minds regarding upgrading my PC.

Current specs :

intel i7 6700K - not overclocked
MSI B150 gaming M3
16Gb 2133MHZ RAM in 2x4GB 1x8Gb (yes I know).

I am looking at upgrading to :

intel i9 9900K
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3200MHz Black (2x8GB)
Cost : R15,500

My question is, is it worth upgrading now with Intel launching their new 10nm CPU's which will also mean new boards or should I just wait it out?

I am not in that much of a rush to upgrade so can wait a bit if it would be worth the wait.

Also realistically what would I get for the current components should I decide to sell them?

Not interested in AMD.
I use the computer for gaming mostly.
Goal is to be able to play 2K or 4K @60+ FPS for the next couple of years - I have the GPU to back up the rest of the system.
Not in to competitive gaming so 144hz etc. is not a concern for me.

Looking forward to your opinions and help.

Thanks guys.
As long as you can play the games you're playing on your current setup at 2k/4k, then why do you want to upgrade. You can still overclock the current i7 to get extra performance if needed.

From what I've seen, Intel 10nm Comet Lake isn't expected until end of next year.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
 

fanniepro

Junior Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Joined
Mar 14, 2017
Messages
271
Reaction score
25
Points
685
Age
29
I would say wait then look at the performance gain of the 10nm compared to Intel 9th gen then decide cause remember that 9th gen will be cheaper then if you decide not to go to 10nm.

I mean you have 4 cores 8 threads and they can take on 4k plus 4k uses GPU more that CPU.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
 

Blood_Bought

Yeshua HaMashiach
VIP Supporter
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Joined
Apr 22, 2010
Messages
5,840
Reaction score
468
Points
3,155
Location
Cape Town
get a different mobo so that you can OC your cpu.
 

Pickled_Dick

VIP
VIP Supporter
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Joined
Feb 24, 2011
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
290
Points
2,155
Age
30
Honestly i would look at upgrading your GPU(Depending on what gpu you have of course) and Board,
Aside from that i do not see the point in upgrading.

Especially now with 10th gen around the corner,
so might as well wait n see what you get ? might have price drops on 9th gen
 

VandaL

Junior Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Joined
Jun 29, 2017
Messages
218
Reaction score
174
Points
785
Location
Durban
Mobo/delid/oc instead of spending close to 16k. You also want to be running dual channel memory because you are taking quite a performance hit from your current setup.
 

SILTECH786

VIP
VIP Supporter
Reseller
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
7,087
Reaction score
2,159
Points
3,705
Age
36
Howdy

I had a similar setup to yours with the Z170 MSI M5 mobo and went from that to this no regrets ;)

Intel i9 9700k
Gigabyte Z390 Aurous Ultra Corsair
Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3200MHz
 

Rambo.T

Junior Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Sep 11, 2017
Messages
30
Reaction score
9
Points
345
Location
Port Elizabeth
Thank you all for the great and quick replies.

The general advise seems to be to hold on for now and wait for the new range to launch - at worst case scenario, I would be getting the i9 at a cheaper price due to the new CPU's launching.

I am then probably going to leave the system as is (s#itty ram and board) and not waste any money on the current setup.

Also would be ordering through evetech so no real "bargain" price that would justify buying the upgrade now.

Thanks again you legends! (y)
 

Top Donors

$301.00
$200.00
$155.00
$113.00
Top