Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)

Re: What is "Reasonable" Overtime?

I say get an opinion from a HR person or Labour Lawyer(which I am not). imho legally they owe you a shitload of money and I think your bosses know that.
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori -The Universal Lie.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

yes, you are required to work overtime, according to your contract. and should whatever hit the fan, everyone should jump in and get it up and running.

however - I do not see in your employment contract that you quoted, that it should be done for free. do they provide something like "leave in lieu of overtime"?

do you dev for your company's own software, or software that they provide to other companies? ethical question - should they make money by planning on you working overtime? (with no work-life balance)

what is the longest stint you work at a time? working extended hours will make it more likely that you are injured(even if traveling to and from work) . from a safety and health perspective you will fall under the OHSA (occupational health and safety act) I fall under the MHSA(mine health and safety act) - but the two are basically the same - so I have been exposed to some of it - even though I am no legal person. (so get your own legal advisor)

http://www.labourguide.co.za/conditi...s-and-overtime
    a snips from the above interpretative page, but read it, and refer to the act itself
    No employee may work more than 45 hours per week normal time and the no employee may work more than 10 hours per week overtime. This applies irrespective of what industry you are in, because the act does not differentiate between different types of industry or employment environment.

btw, the above is not the same as the BCEA, BCEA might say you need not to get paid for it, but OSHA says that you cannot work huge amounts of overtimes, and if you do, you need to be compensated
    Not so long ago, a deranged, ranting person's audience was limited to how many people happened to be on the same street. The Internet, however, has certainly allowed "crazy" to go global...

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

ouch those overtime hours...
    3930K|P9X79|Dominator GT 16GB|800D|Antec TPQ 850|780Lightning|840Pro SSD|Corsair K55 RGB|Asus Gladius|Plantronics Gamecom 388