Percent received of goal amount for this month: (40%)
Please donate to, amongst other things, purchase and install modifications for Carbonite.co.za, the licensing fees for the Vbulletin software, and some of the hosting costs.

Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Stuttering HTPC - why ?

Need some advice please.

I have a N36L HP Microserver running as my HTPC. It has 4Gb ram, pushes sound via a USB soundcard, and sports a low profile Radeon gfx card. (for the life of me I can't remember which one it is now, think it's a 5450)

Either way, everything works well, except when I try to play back 1080 videos in Kodi. Then it stutters a bit. Even streaming from YouTube at HD quality causes stuttering.

I believe the video decoding is done by the gfx card, but it's pretty much the best one that can fit in the machine. Low profile, passive cooling ect

So, is the gfx card too wimpy or is it the processor or a combo of both that's causing HD content to suck ?

I'd hate to upgrade to a N54L and still have the same problem.
    ~ i7-4790 ~ ASUS H97 Pro ~ 16Gb G.Skill 1600 ~ Gigabyte GTX 670 ~ MX100 SSD ~

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

Re: Stuttering HTPC - why ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gelmir View Post
    Need some advice please.

I have a N36L HP Microserver running as my HTPC. It has 4Gb ram, pushes sound via a USB soundcard, and sports a low profile Radeon gfx card. (for the life of me I can't remember which one it is now, think it's a 5450)

Either way, everything works well, except when I try to play back 1080 videos in Kodi. Then it stutters a bit. Even streaming from YouTube at HD quality causes stuttering.

I believe the video decoding is done by the gfx card, but it's pretty much the best one that can fit in the machine. Low profile, passive cooling ect

So, is the gfx card too wimpy or is it the processor or a combo of both that's causing HD content to suck ?

what cables are you rocking (or is this connected directly to the tv ? )
    Intel i7 5820K, Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P, XPG Dazzle 16GB 2400Mhz , Corsair H110, EVGA 980ti, Asus Phoebus Sound card, Antec Quattro 1200w OC, 6 X 2TB storage, 840 EVO 250GB SSD, NZXT 810 Switch, Catleap 2B 1440p@110Hz, MSI GE70 2PE Pro

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Did it work before or is this a new setup?

Did you have a look at this? http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Enable_...MC_for_Windows
    // Intel i7-4790K || Corsair H100i || MSI Z97 Gaming 7 || 16GB Corsair Dominators || Asus GTX980 STRIX \\
    // ASUS 27" ROG SWIFT || Corsair K70 Red || Razer Deathadder Chroma \\

Mentioned
    319 Post(s)

Is that the one with a 1.3Ghz Athlon cpu? I don't think the 5450 decodes video so I'm pretty sure your cpu is the culprit. Should be easy to check cpu usage in Windows.
    "Kaby Pond" | Phantek Enthoo Evolv mATX | MSI Z270M Mortar | i3 6100 | 2x4GB Trident Z 3200Mhz C16 | MSI GTX970 Gaming | Corsair RM650 | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | Dell U2515H | Logitech G900

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

CPU should run that easy.

What OS?
    Yes, the Radeon might be the problem.

I'm running the same setup with 6gb mem and Nvidia gt 210.

I reloaded the micro server with win 10 last week and very happy boots faster and reacts quickly. I also run my downloads and-and-and on this little server while playing HD movies. Total storage of 10 TB

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gelmir View Post
    Need some advice please.

I have the same machine, GT210 GPU running Kodi on Win 7 on an HDD.
    The HW can handle 1080p.

I did have performance issues previously running the Ubuntu Kodi off a memory stick.

Have you tried a reinstall ? Did notice the previous mem stick install become even more . lethargic after a while. And move to HDD if you haven't already.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Are you running Kodi 16 or Kodi 17?
    I found that 17(still in RC) has improved hardware acceleration quite a bit, especially for 4k videos.
    On 16 I can barely get smooth playback but 17 works perfectly.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Okay, to answer some questions ...

Cables: Running a VGA cable (using a DVI to VGA converter) from the gfx to the TV. Reason is it's a elcheapo 50" and I can't get HDMI to look remotely acceptable on it
    CPU: Yeah it's the 1,3Gz Athlon
    Gfx card: Definitely the 5450
    Kodi: v17

Now, for the bit where I'm going to look like a tit ...

I checked it again now, and PRESTO, HD movies are playing without a single hiccup in Kodi and YouTube streams 1080p just fine all of a sudden
    aaaaaaand the reason for this miraculous turn of good fortune is because I forgot that I actually did a format and clean install and upgraded Kodi in December while I was on leave and haven't tested it since. (I blame the fact that my brain was switched off at the time and that only vital functions like eating and sleeping were actively being kept going by said switched-off brain)

I actually started looking for an upgrade for my little N36L last year and only thought about asking for other opinions now ... (brain is still booting up, probably running Win ME)

So, at least we all know one thing from this useless post and that's that a HP N36L Microserver with 4gb ram and a flimsy gfx card can actually run your home theater needs pretty well.
    The only thing I still want to do is to get a sound bar that supports HDMI so that I can get better than stereo sound from my movies.

I thank you Carbonite for your valued input
    ~ i7-4790 ~ ASUS H97 Pro ~ 16Gb G.Skill 1600 ~ Gigabyte GTX 670 ~ MX100 SSD ~