Percent received of goal amount for this month: (10%)
Please donate to, amongst other things, purchase and install modifications for Carbonite.co.za, the licensing fees for the Vbulletin software, and some of the hosting costs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

GTX1060 price differences?

Hi guys !!

So I need some advice - I am currently looking to buy a GTX1060 6gb, preferably new.

Now my question is, why do the prices for 1060's range from R4500 up to almost R6500? I do realize that they have different brands like MSI, EVGA, Zotac, Galax, Asus and so forth, but why such huge price differences? Are the cheaper ones really so much "worse" than the more expensive ones? I mean in my eyes, they all are still GTX1060's?

If someone can please help me by explaining this then I would be ever grateful !!

PS - I opened a thread a few months ago asking why some GTX970's for example are more expensive than the 1060's, and people told me that companies aren't willing to make a loss, so they rather keep it that price and hope someone who doesn't know a lot about GPUs buys them. So that part I do get, it's the huge price differences within the same GPUs that I don't understand :-)

Thanks in advance !!

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Re: GTX1060 price differences?

Brand and warranty. Go look at the 1080, you'll see the same thing. Of course there is some difference in cooling and clock speed but its mostly brand name and warranty.
    My computer brings all the viruses to the yard, and they're like - get linux fool.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Hi .. Wootware for Eg: are directly importing Galax and Zotac cards, bypassing local suppliers. So they are able to offer much better pricing on those cards . It's as simple as that really.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

They'll all perform pretty much identically, up to you which specific card is right for you eg mini if you have a small case, active/passive fans for silence, back plate, RGB lighting etc etc. Then a lot of the price difference is simply marketing and cos they can...

My preferred card is the Gigabyte Windforce or G1 gaming for example as they have the active/passive cooling at a really great price(when you import, the Gigabytes are expensive locally), I want my PC to be as quiet as possible.
    *all prices in my posts are once off, only valid for 24hrs and are not indicative in any way of future pricing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

performance wise, all the same maybe a few fps different (because of different mhz on clock). The extra money will be for different cooler and all other the bells and whistles
    i5-6500 | Msi z170 | 8Gb ram | Msi 1060 6Gb | 1TB+ 256Gb SSD | Cx550m | Phantek P400s

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Biggest reason for the price difference would be the amount of RAM on the card. Generally the 3GB card would fall in the R4500 range and the 6gb would fit into the R6500 bracket. Then you still have to account for factory overclocks, bundled software or games etc.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Just buy the cheapest card you can get... they all perform the same.... All you will achieve is tears down the line when no one wants to buy your overpriced "brand" name card.. ask the guys with the 20k 980ti cards
    Fraternal Acquaintances above Women of Questionable Virtue!!!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I'm happy with my zotac GTX1060 3gb, I can do Witcher 3 and VR, what more do you want?
    Established brands in SA just isn't worth in terms of performance. It boils down to aesthetics and brand trust (loyalty), something I'm not bothered with.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Wrong thread
    Fraternal Acquaintances above Women of Questionable Virtue!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thanks for everyone's replies, much appreciated :-D I was thinking maybe a 1050 as it's waaay more affordable but geez..a 1060 would just be so much nicer !!

Anyways thanks a lot guys :-)