Percent received of goal amount for this month: (57%)
Please donate to, amongst other things, purchase and install modifications for Carbonite.co.za, the licensing fees for the Vbulletin software, and some of the hosting costs.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)

Server performance issues

Hi Guys,

I'm sorry but I had to turn on the load indicator for the server. I got load times of 20 seconds to load the front page. The server load was running at 60+.

So, sorry for the "server busy" messages that you'll be getting from now on, but I don't have much of a choice.

We are actively investigating the issue and the cause of it, and we will implement the measures asap. We are looking at a number of different options:
    • Upgrading the server
    • Changing to litespeed instead of apache
    • Changing to maria db instead of mysql

I will let you know what we decided, and how it will impact you guys. Hopefully we can sort this out asap.

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)

Re: Server performance issues

We are likely going to do a test of litespeed soon. The server might go down for a couple of minutes. The forums may or may not work after that. If they do, great, if not, I'll see if it can be fixed quickly. If not, we'll roll back to apache.

Please be patient during this process. I know it sucks (trust me, it sucks for me too).

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)

Server is now running on litespeed. Please test compatability with things and let me know if any features are not working. We'll stay on litespeed until such time as we find features not working, that we cannot fix quickly.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Firestar View Post
    Server is now running on litespeed. Please test compatibility with things and let me know if any features are not working. We'll stay on litespeed until such time as we find features not working, that we cannot fix quickly.
    At least now I'm not getting "server busy" message.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Firestar View Post
    Server is now running on litespeed. Please test compatibility with things and let me know if any features are not working. We'll stay on litespeed until such time as we find features not working, that we cannot fix quickly.
    Was just gonna say not getting the server busy message while on this page and then its back.
    Getting same message. Not even sure if this post is gonna work.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Still battling..

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)

I set the server busy messages on a *Nix load of 10. We have a 4 core server, so technically, 8 is a pretty busy server (if I understand Nix load correctly, there seems to be different definitions all over the place).

So, currently, the load is just over 10. However, it was hovering around 5 for quite some time.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)

The live feed/update thingy at the right seems to be broken now.
    Id rather die than deny

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Using the Search Box "navbar_search" kicks out the "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later." error as well

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)

There's a whole bunch of things that's going to give the server too busy error. Everything that's server intensive will do that.

I've disabled a few addons to see which adds heavily to the server load. So, certain features (like the side box, live feeds, ajax threads, etc) will stop functioning temporarily.