Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Z370 Mobo damaged sigh

Good afternoon all,

So as the topic states today I removed my CPU to send it in for delidding with Rebeltech it's an 8700k so can't wait to get it back to benchmark all the wonderful results but back to the topic. On removing my CPU, the motherboard is a Z370e Strix from Asus so according to what they recommend you need to put their plastic cover over the CPU socket to protect it.... so I went alright and whilst fitting it the plastic cover misaligned whilst putting it in position causing a slight amount of hand to plastic to pins pressure on the top left corner. I removed the plastic and on inspection I thought I had pretty much just created an expensive paper weight. Low and behold though when I arrived at Rebeltech to do the delid I explained my misfortune to them.... Surprised to their reply, they said well bring it in we'll see if we can repair the pins for you but they say they don't promise anything(However at least they are doing something because I was already working out what is the next best overclocking board to go with).

So big up to Rebeltech for attempting this repair and I'll keep all updated on their progress as well.
    i7-8700k(delid) / DDR4 - 16gb - 3000mhz / GALAX GTX 1080 EXOC / ssd drives / Asus z370 ROG Maximus X Apex / H500P(Front Perspex Removed) / 144hz Asus vg248qe 1ms response / Razer Basilisk gaming mouse / 6vg2 Steelseries mechanical keyboard / Razer Tiamat 7.1 Headphones

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)

Re: Z370 Mobo damaged sigh

It's a pleasure

People need to spend less time learning and more time thinking
    Remove the word "co-incidence" from your vocabulary. Now, re-evaluate the evidence.
    2x Xeon X5690 6 Core CPUs @ 4.4 GHz || EVGA Classified SR-2 || 48 GB DDR3-1600 || 2x GIGABYTE GeForce GTX TITAN || 1 TB Samsung SSD
    8 TB Storage || Corsair Obsidian 800D || Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 1200W || Creative Sound Blaster ZX Sound Card

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by superrob View Post
    Good afternoon all,

So as the topic states today I removed my CPU to send it in for delidding with Rebeltech it's an 8700k so can't wait to get it back to benchmark all the wonderful results but back to the topic. On removing my CPU, the motherboard is a Z370e Strix from Asus so according to what they recommend you need to put their plastic cover over the CPU socket to protect it.... so I went alright and whilst fitting it the plastic cover misaligned whilst putting it in position causing a slight amount of hand to plastic to pins pressure on the top left corner. I removed the plastic and on inspection I thought I had pretty much just created an expensive paper weight. Low and behold though when I arrived at Rebeltech to do the delid I explained my misfortune to them.... Surprised to their reply, they said well bring it in we'll see if we can repair the pins for you but they say they don't promise anything(However at least they are doing something because I was already working out what is the next best overclocking board to go with).

So big up to Rebeltech for attempting this repair and I'll keep all updated on their progress as well.
    Good on RebelTech.

You should've just closed your PC case. Before refitting the CPU, give it a quick blow with a compressed air or a blower to remove any dust/foreign matter on the pins.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Well sometimes it takes the loss of expensive things to see the light in a dark situation when Rebeltech offered me another option that was not on the table before I spoke to them.

Silly me following the protocol of Asus with something I would not have bothered about in the past, due to a gesture like this it makes me want use their business more. I prefer face to face and dislike numb and dull dealings.

Still the outcome of board is yet to be seen, I really did a number on those pins with a piece of plastic... should've had before and after pics, was definitely at least 10 or more pins bent beyond what a fingernail could reasonably bend back into place lol.
    i7-8700k(delid) / DDR4 - 16gb - 3000mhz / GALAX GTX 1080 EXOC / ssd drives / Asus z370 ROG Maximus X Apex / H500P(Front Perspex Removed) / 144hz Asus vg248qe 1ms response / Razer Basilisk gaming mouse / 6vg2 Steelseries mechanical keyboard / Razer Tiamat 7.1 Headphones

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Good Luck!

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

@souljazk , I call upon you!
    I do 3D printing! Check out my thread HERE

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)

It took some doing, but your board is POSTing

Your delidded CPU is also working - see you soon

People need to spend less time learning and more time thinking
    Remove the word "co-incidence" from your vocabulary. Now, re-evaluate the evidence.
    2x Xeon X5690 6 Core CPUs @ 4.4 GHz || EVGA Classified SR-2 || 48 GB DDR3-1600 || 2x GIGABYTE GeForce GTX TITAN || 1 TB Samsung SSD
    8 TB Storage || Corsair Obsidian 800D || Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 1200W || Creative Sound Blaster ZX Sound Card

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Just an FYI regarding the socket cover -- it goes ONTOP of the bracket, NOT UNDER!
    If you close the bracket BEFORE snapping the socket cover on then it's impossible to bend any pins with the socket cover.
    3770K 4.5GHz 1.15v | H100 | Maximus V Extreme | 16GB Corsair Platinum 2133 | GTX980Ti Gaming | AX860 | LG BD-R | Cosmos S | 840Pro | G15v2 | G500 | Z5500 | Xonar D2X | DELL U2715H

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The board is definitely working again but alas due to the pin damage it's only reading one ram chip and not both slotted in together. So a big thank you to rebeltech for all their great work but I'll definitely need a new board from this.

Mentioned
    249 Post(s)

Did I hear u buying AN msi godlike ,,