No, not location, Stay in house on the eastrand
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

DSTV installation advice needed, please

Afternoon gents and ladies,

I am in a bit of a pickle, I need to install 2 new decoders and have no idea how to connect them.

Heres a list of the hardware:
    Explora 1 which i shall call mothership (already installed and is main decoder).

New Explora 2 which will be the in the flat and therefore shall be called "Slave"

New Single view HD decoder which shalt be called SVHD.

Now for the list of questions....

How the "Vark" do I connect them?

Is a heartbeat cable required?

Will I be able to record on Slave?

What other equipment should I buy?

And lastly are there any strange settings on any of the decoders that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance...

Sent from my LG-M400 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Re: DSTV installation advice needed, please

Best way to install all of these is to get rid of DSTV.

But if you really do need DSTV, I used guides that I found on the multichoice website, will see if I can spot them again.

Maybe this diagram will help: https://ptadstv.co.za/xtraview-setup/

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bythecantloads; 12-01-2018 at 06:32 PM.
    I no longer have RX 580...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

get a pro installer to help you set it up - they take an hour or two to wire it all up and then they take 10 minutes to set it up including all the required setup phone calls etc

with the equipment you already have you can use a smart LNB and run cables to each decoder - you will need a heartbeat cables unless you are running three explora 2s even then it will depend on distances of signal cables ie if the decoder is too far away like if you try to cheat and send a signal to your neighbour then that might need a heartbeat cable .... if its three explora 2s with shortish cables as in one house but cables going into different rooms then you wont need the heartbeat cables - as soon as theres HD decoders and explora 1s in the mix you will most likely need the heartbeat cables

i'm sorry to say but with the questions you are asking im pretty sure that the exercise is beyond your DIY skills - and it was way beyond mine even though my previous 3 viewer environment (SD PVR + old HD PVR) was entirely done by me (including wiring up a 2 into 6 splitter so i could have dual LNB for the SD PVR and quad LNB for my 4tuner HD PVR) .... nevertheless with the new stuff i had to call in the installers so i purchased one explora with a free installation voucher and paid R700 additional installation charges to add the extra two decoders (inclusive of all the cable required) and the additional two decoders were also purchased on special from makro

in a three viewer environment you can record on whichever decoder has a hard drive so the only one you wont be able to record on is the new single view HD decoder - replace that with a PVR which comes up at makro regularly on special offers then you will be able to record on all three

you need to make sure you have an 80cm dish as well as a smart LNB and all your decoders - and the installer should have enough coax cable for all the signal and heartbeat requirements - just get quotes for the install first so that you dont get overcharged

the main reason why i say get pro installers in, is because DSTV wont give you much support and assistance for a DIY install ... the new extraview installs require trained and certified staff to install and they dont want to undermine the training that these people participate in, so they will be reluctant to provide too much assistance for a DIY install - and while the settings may be easy enough the phone call to activate all the decoders onto one account could be a nightmare for non trained personnel (i couldnt make head or tail of it when the guy did mine and remember i did manage my previous install all by myself .... this stuff is definitely a little more difficult)
    Last edited by naughty; 13-01-2018 at 03:58 AM.

No, not location, Stay in house on the eastrand
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by naughty View Post
    get a pro installer to help you set it up - they take an hour or two to wire it all up and then they take 10 minutes to set it up including all the required setup phone calls etc

with the equipment you already have you can use a smart LNB and run cables to each decoder - you will need a heartbeat cables unless you are running three explora 2s even then it will depend on distances of signal cables ie if the decoder is too far away like if you try to cheat and send a signal to your neighbour then that might need a heartbeat cable .... if its three explora 2s with shortish cables as in one house but cables going into different rooms then you wont need the heartbeat cables - as soon as theres HD decoders and explora 1s in the mix you will most likely need the heartbeat cables

i'm sorry to say but with the questions you are asking im pretty sure that the exercise is beyond your DIY skills - and it was way beyond mine even though my previous 3 viewer environment (SD PVR + old HD PVR) was entirely done by me (including wiring up a 2 into 6 splitter so i could have dual LNB for the SD PVR and quad LNB for my 4tuner HD PVR) .... nevertheless with the new stuff i had to call in the installers so i purchased one explora with a free installation voucher and paid R700 additional installation charges to add the extra two decoders (inclusive of all the cable required) and the additional two decoders were also purchased on special from makro

in a three viewer environment you can record on whichever decoder has a hard drive so the only one you wont be able to record on is the new single view HD decoder - replace that with a PVR which comes up at makro regularly on special offers then you will be able to record on all three

you need to make sure you have an 80cm dish as well as a smart LNB and all your decoders - and the installer should have enough coax cable for all the signal and heartbeat requirements - just get quotes for the install first so that you dont get overcharged

the main reason why i say get pro installers in, is because DSTV wont give you much support and assistance for a DIY install ... the new extraview installs require trained and certified staff to install and they dont want to undermine the training that these people participate in, so they will be reluctant to provide too much assistance for a DIY install - and while the settings may be easy enough the phone call to activate all the decoders onto one account could be a nightmare for non trained personnel (i couldnt make head or tail of it when the guy did mine and remember i did manage my previous install all by myself .... this stuff is definitely a little more difficult)
    The problem I have with all the installers I have phoned so far is, I wil lay all the cable, put the connectors on and do all the hard work and for them to do as you say "10 minutes" work configuring it they want to cbarge me R1100 (cheapest) and R2900 most expensive.

If I knew that when buying the equipment i will not be allowed to set it up and configure it myself, I would not have bought it in the first place.

That was my rant for the day.

Now for the update, going to get a second explora 2 to replace the mothership and moving the dish!

A 3rd decoder is not required at this stage but will be installing in a couple of weeks.

Now for another question, does anuone know where to take mothership to with slave 2 so the recordings can be transferred?

Sent from my LG-M400 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

if you are getting another explora 2 then check the special for the decoder that comes with the free installation because it also includes the larger dish and also the LNB and the installation plus all associated costs - when the guy comes to install ask him for a quote for the additional charges for the second decoder - i paid another R400 for second decoder and another R300 for the third ... this included the cost of the cable but the first decoder included the free install and dish and smart LNB

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Sorry might be mistaken but couldnt you also get a Smart Switch instead of getting another Smart LNB?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFang View Post
    Sorry might be mistaken but couldnt you also get a Smart Switch instead of getting another Smart LNB?
    you only need one smart LNB .... DSTV allows a max of three units as a max for extraview and a smart LNB caters for 3 unicables and one legacy connection ... so you only need one smart LNB ... if a suggestion is made to get a smart LNB then its made under the assumption that with the older legacy devices the upgrade to a smart LNB hasnt already happened