Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Thumbs up Bright: Modern day version of LOTR

So if you had to ask me what exactly Bright is, then I would say imagine Lord of The Rings, Elves, Orcís, Fairies and Centaurís. Now add a buddy cop movie like Lethal Weapon and mix in shootouts, car crashes and plenty of fist fights then you get Bright. The story of Bright takes place in an alternative present day, where Humans, Orcs, Elves, and fairies have been coexisting since the dawn of time. Scott Ward played by Will Smith is partnered up with Nick Jakoby an Orc played by Joel Edgerton. Two police officers who embark on a routine night patrol, but it goes south when they discover a young female elf, who seems to be in possession of a thought-to-be-forgotten relic, which, in the wrong hands, could bring back the lord of darkness that was banished over 2000 years ago.

Firstly ignore all of the critic reviews online, if they can give The Last Jedi 86% with a straight face and then give Bright 28% then they have zero credibility as reviewers. I honestly donít get what the critics wanted from this movie? Then lying outright about it being the worst movie of 2017? Really? Did we forget about the Emoji movie or The Snowman? Or Al Pacinoís movie, The Hangman? All I can say to these critics is, they kind of missed the point. I donít know whether they were expecting a different type of movie, or if this is because Netflix managed to produce a Hollywood quality movie on half the budget. This really is the future of cinema, streaming right into your home or wherever you are. And I think this scares these people, hence the hate for this movie.

I actually went into this without any expectations because of all the reviews shitting all over it. But then again that is my mistake for taking reviewers of any form of media seriously these days. The premise is pretty amazing for Bright, and for the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would not have thought up a similar idea before. But I am guessing they are too busy rebooting franchises that no one wants to make creative choices. This is basically a world 2,000 years after Lord of the Rings. Where Orcs, Fairies, Elves, Centaurs and all manner of fantasy creatures go about their daily lives. Considering the budget of this movie which was around $90 million you get some pretty good bang for your buck.

Solid special effects, great make-up and solid car chases and expensive looking set designs. Bright explores many core principles we are faced with in society today including bigotry, intolerance, acceptance, and redemption. Not to mention altruism and compromise. We live in a society where people judge you based on your looks, race or where you were born before you even open your mouth. And that is the core message being conveyed in Bright, where Orcís are considered the lowest class in this fantasy society and as such gets pretty much treated like shit irrespective of their intentions. And while the movie touches on subjects like bigotry and racism when it comes to the Orcís, it never becomes overly preachy.

The only thing the story really lacked for me was proper world building, I would have loved a 15-minute or so opening that explained how the world we see in Bright came to be and explaining the possible dark lordís return at the hands of certain renegade Elves. I was very impressed with Joel Edgerton as Jakoby, he was the standout actor in the movie for me. Jakoby is meek and naive as a character but Joel Edgerton brings him to live brilliantly. The movie does a brilliant job showing Jakobyís internal struggle having to pick a side to appease his partner or his own Orc race, yet deep down he knows itís wrong to beat his own kind or shoot a human. It is the classic tale of the good to his core rookie cop that everyone hates because heís different.

As for Will Smithís acting, it is standard sort of Will Smith fare, not overly deep or complex but fun and entertaining. He plays the typical Will Smith character of MIB and Independence Day, however, he is just another beat cop having a really bad day. There wasnít much character exposition when it comes to the two main characters I would have loved to know the reason why Jakoby was not blooded (Orc tradition) and why his teeth were filled off. Bright does suffer from what I call: ďSour face Will Smith syndromeĒ, which I think was intended as his character is pretty much a jaded cranky cop whoís been shot before and not keen on getting shot again. The combination of the story and the two actors makes for a very entertaining buddy cop movie.

Bright is a breath of fresh air, in an industry that is clearly intent on scraping the bottom of the barrel to remake cult classics thinking they can cash in on the nostalgia of the older generation. You love movies like Lord of the Rings with its high fantasy and all? Do you love buddy cop movies like Training Day, Lethal Weapon or Bad Boys? Then you will love this movie. Will Smith & Joel Edgerton have great on set chemistry in this movie, with some obvious plot twists and some entertaining surprises Brights story kept me entertained from start to finish. My only complaint is I was left with so many questions about the universe of Bright, I certainly hope they continue expanding the amazing universe of Bright because the possibilities are endless for this franchise.

[Editorial Note:] I honestly believe that this concept and story would have been better suited as a short mini-series or even a TV show. Hopefully, all of the hate Bright is getting from the critics do not kill this amazing concept.
    Via: https://g33kp0rn.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    235 Post(s)

Re: Bright: Modern day version of LOTR

I really enjoyed this movie. I don't know why, I just did. There was just the right amount of action and comedy in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAH NUUU BRU View Post
    Wants to be liked and trusted, keyboard screams at a mod - Bold strategy Cotton, lets see if it pays off for him ... GG Viv 16-0
    Female ASRock H97 Killer | i7-4790 + H75 | 16GB RAM | Asus GTX 1080 Strix Advance | Neutron XT 240GB | M12II Evo 620w | LG 24GM77-B | Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless, Sabre, STRAFE, RGB 460x
    Donations welcome BTC: 17yzDrmh4ti98dwYvY5HvX1C4f2v5rKbsD

Toxxyc is offline Official Reseller Enforcer
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)

This movie is a mess. No intro, no idea what is happening or why, you don't know why people hate the orcs, why the elves are "upper class", why fairies are to be killed when seen, etc. There's a damn dragon floating over the city and they don't explore into it. They mention dwarves (and in total 9 races, to be honest) but you only see elves, humans and orcs, etc. etc. I get what they tried to achieve, but man it's one hell of a mess.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Messy movie, needed a lot more background info.

Loved it non the less, there is a lot worse being made and released, with budgets this movie could only dream of having!

Mentioned
    275 Post(s)

Training day is a buddy cop movie? Thats some f*cked up buddies right there
    / Msi Z270m / i7 7700k / Corsair H100i + Commander Mini / Aorus 1080ti Xtreme / 16gb GSkill RGB / Transcend 256gb ssd / Leadex II 850w / Mastercase Pro 3 / Asus PG348Q/ Logitech G410 / Logitech G502 / Harman Kardon Soundsticks III / Steelseries Arctis 5 /

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

I fell asleep 15 minutes in sorry to say... Same thing happens when I watch anything with Leonardo De Caprio.. My wife agrees with Toxxy though but I understand that its not going to be the last movie set in the Bright Universe..
    People who think they know everything are of great annoyance to those of us that do - Isaac Asimov

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Google search reveals sequel confirmed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    * intel i7 6700 * MSI z170A Gaming M7 * 16gb Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 * Zotac 1080ti AmpEd * Dell S2417DG 165hz 1440p*

Toxxyc is offline Official Reseller Enforcer
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)

What'll it be called? Bright-er? Because man I don't think I even want to entertain the idea of another one.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    What'll it be called? Bright-er? Because man I don't think I even want to entertain the idea of another one.
    You seem to be in the minority I guess:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

eish more rubbish coming then in the sequel. I watched about 10 mins before i turned this off and deleted the copy i had.