Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Arrow Mining rig stability

I am doing research to determine how stable GPU mining rigs really are.

please comment, include some some background info on your rigs (hardware, software, size age) and if you are experiencing stability issues (how often, nature of instability, impact) from time to time and how you mitigate it.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: Mining rig stability

Have a bunch, not typing them out, but they are dead stable. The amd one gave me shit when i tried to mine cryptonight, sorted by reinstalling drivers. Otherwise, turn them on and they run for weeks on end with no issues. Have one i turned on in may and (besides when my power was out or net is down) has not been changed and runs perfectly (mining zcash)
    | "Why you summoning hedgehogs?" |
    | "Gona make them stand on each other like a hedgehog totem pole ...duh" |

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks for feedback
    You running linux/windows?

Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa, South Africa
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Both myself and my mate had stability and "melting" issues. I was running fine for a while then eventually one of my molex chains melted right at the PSU. (5x 1070 rig w/ 850W platinum).
    Same thing happened to him with his 6x RX570 rig not long after he just couldn't get them running stable.

I ended up doing hours of Googling and learned that it all came down to power draw on the molex chain / rail, specifically the 12v rail (yellow cable). You can have a 2000w psu, and the molex rail will still only push out like a max of 54w. This is not enough to power risers, especially on AMD cards.

I found a mod online that explains, what you actually have to do is use the PCIE power (12v yellow cable) from the PSU to power the risers. You get 6pin risers (which are perfect) as long as you actually use the 6pin PCIE rail from the PSU, and not the converter from the molex. We, unfortunately only had existing 4pin molex risers. If this is your case, and you don't want to spend R200 odd for new 6pin risers, you can mod your rails to use the PSU 6pin. It does involve having to cut wires on your PSU cables though.

So basically, you cut the yellow cable coming out your PSU and connect it to the yellow cable going into the 4 pin molex on the riser. PS: You must power both the card and riser on the same PCIE 6pin cable.
    The point is, the 12v rail from the PCIE cable has a MUCH higher wattage output.

Here is a diagram I drew up:
    Untitled.png

So you still use the black and red molex cables to the riser (they just ground and 5v for the USB), however you cup the yellow cable and rather use the 12v that comes from the PCIE power cable.
    I know it sounds dodge, but it works. And it works perfectly. No heat issues, 100% stability.

Here's my rig with the mod:
    20171208_202525.jpg

Hope I helped.
    Gaming Rig: 4670K @ 4.6Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | MSI Z97 GAMING 5 | Aorus 1080ti Xtreme | H100 | IN WIN 303 | 850 evo | EVGA 550W
    Mining Rig: 5x Zotac 1070 mini | Antec 850W HCP 80+ (Mona / Vert)