Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Urgent: Will liquid metal damage my 980ti cooler?

Ah crap. Learning experience.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SYNERGY View Post
    Ah crap. Learning experience.
    Yes, have good insurance and be very careful with liquid metal with a large PCB below.
    I've done maybe 8 plus delids and they have never resulted in a failure but there, the CPU is far more protected whereas a GPU isn't.
    The mistake I made was when I removed it, not applying it. Isopropyl alcohol makes liquid metal less viscous and thus, more likely to fall off the earbud and onto the PCB.
    Usually, liquid metal will cling to the earbud.

I'm increasing my accidental insurance on my cover to R40 000.00 as that's what my PC would cost to replace with new components.
    | i7 3770 / Zotac Z77 / 16gigs of DDR3 / HAF 922 / SuperFlower Leadex 650 / EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC GAMING ACX / Nuprime uDSD / Delid Mate & Relid v2 | Dutchie 6' 2" KingFish / DSD 6' 6" Hybrid / Magic Shot 9' Longboard |

Mentioned
    351 Post(s)

You were better off putting it in the dish washer. I've done that with GPUs, Motherboard etc.
    Also Liquid Metal on GPU does diddly 9/10 times.
    Turning on the system (attempting), is obviously what killed the card. There's virtually zero protection there that any PCB can give. as pins are directly connected to GPU silicon.
    Sorry about the loss, I've had a rough year with dead hardware as well. Lost KPE 980 Ti, DRAM, motherboard, M.2 SSD and PSU in the last 6 months
    Everyday I know less and less about more and more.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gouhan View Post
    You were better off putting it in the dish washer. I've done that with GPUs, Motherboard etc.
    Also Liquid Metal on GPU does diddly 9/10 times.
    Turning on the system (attempting), is obviously what killed the card. There's virtually zero protection there that any PCB can give. as pins are directly connected to GPU silicon.
    Sorry about the loss, I've had a rough year with dead hardware as well. Lost KPE 980 Ti, DRAM, motherboard, M.2 SSD and PSU in the last 6 months
    Ouch. That sucks. I feel slightly less worse now though.
    | i7 3770 / Zotac Z77 / 16gigs of DDR3 / HAF 922 / SuperFlower Leadex 650 / EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC GAMING ACX / Nuprime uDSD / Delid Mate & Relid v2 | Dutchie 6' 2" KingFish / DSD 6' 6" Hybrid / Magic Shot 9' Longboard |

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Reading this thread made me cringe, yoh. Sorry dude! That's one hell of a bummer. Between all the lightning Joburg and our tinkering, our gear should be insured up the ying yang.

Hope you come right with insurance.

Cheers
    i7-3770 @ 4.2 GHz 1.19V | Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z | 16GB XPG V3 1866 | 2 x 128GB SSD RAID 0 | 1TB HDD | Asus Strix RX 480 8GB Gaming | Thermaltake Smart SE 730W | 4048 x 1080 triple display Eyefinity | Lynx AES16e | Antec Kühler H600 Pro | Cooler Master Silencio 550

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bester View Post
    Reading this thread made me cringe, yoh. Sorry dude! That's one hell of a bummer. Between all the lightning Joburg and our tinkering, our gear should be insured up the ying yang.

Hope you come right with insurance.

Cheers
    Thank you
    Insurance will pay me R10 000.00 for the damages. I'll use that to get a new card. My motherboard has packed up too and I've sent it to a computer store to get a report for insurance.
    I'll buy my moms PC from my step dad which has an MSI Mpower Z77 (a damn sight better than the Zotac Z77 ITX I can tell you).

Massive learning experience for me but it's fine. I knew what I was getting myself into and I've got 4 thermal pastes I could have used, I just chose the most risky to see.
    I'll use my Coolermaster Master Gel maker for my card next time.