Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Re: Talk to me about fans (all of them)

Not to me, no. I use the SP120's that came with the H105. I found that 1200 rpm is the sweet spot for noise versus cooling performance. They get loud above that, +- 1500 rpm.

I guess its a matter of how much noise you want versus how cool you want the pc to be.

Currently I have all the fans in my pc running at 1200rpm and the loudest components are the 3.5" drives.
    My beloved pile of crap:
    Titan 240 | Asus M4N68T-M V2 | Phenom II x6 1055T + Corsair H105 | 8Gb Corsair Vengeance LP | GTX 680 Phantom 4Gb | CM Storm Pulse-R headies

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PhireSide View Post
    Ta. But it uses 12V Molex, not the common 3-pin fan header connector. I would probably need to try and find a resistor that can bring that down to 7 or so volts to see if it makes any discernible difference in noise levels. For that amount of effort I would probably just replace the whole damn fan
    You can wire molex to run 7v and 5v also

I've had good experience with Bitfenix Spectre Pro PWM fans but they don't have LED's.
    Last edited by QuantumX; 22-11-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    | Intel® Core™ i7-6700K @ 4.9GHz | ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200MHz | MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G @ 1480/1900 | Corsair AX860 | SK hynix PC300 1TB NVMe | Corsair Obsidian 350D |

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I have actually forgotten that the Molex adapters can be wired up like that. I remember reading up on it years ago when they were still widely used. I may give that a shot!

As a test, I tried isolating the knocking sound that was coming from my SP120 and it seems like it isn't the fan itself but rather the way it mounts to the H80i radiator. By removing the fan from the rad while running, I was intrigued to note that the noise had basically disappeared. Holding it to the rad but with a ~1mm gap the noise is absent. It seems like something is causing the moving air to be a bit turbulent when mounted flush to the rad. For now I have removed the 'push' fan to see if it has any serious effect on CPU temps, but from what I can tell I have perhaps a 2 degree gain on the H80i temperature overall with one fan absent.

I'll report back here after fiddling a bit more
    i7 3770K | Stock Cooler | Zotac GTX1070 Mini | Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z ROG | 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400 | CM Storm Scout | HX650W | 23" LG 3D | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Win10 Pro

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

I'd look at the mm/H20 at the RPM over anything else. High mm/H20 at a high RPM = noisy.
    High mm/H20 at medium RPM = winning.

Looking at the options, the ML fans seem to be some of the best and the Corsair SP range seem to fall behind.
    I'd look at the Bitfenix BFF-SPRO-12025KK though, 2.6 mmH2O@26db is great.

Exit fans, any fan will really do. You actually don't want to exit the air faster than it can be forced into the case so slower exhaust fans are good.
    | i3 8100 / Gigabyte Z370XP Sli / TridentZ 3000 RGB 16gigs / HAF 922 / Corsair RM750i / Gigabyte 1070 [incoming] / Nuprime uDSD / Sennheiser Momentum 2/ Delid Mate & Relid v2 | Dutchie 6' 2" KingFish / DSD 6' 6" Hybrid / Magic Shot 9' Longboard |

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Spectre Pro 120mm gets rekt -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1274407/f...nd-benchmarks#

Then you see something like the Corsair ML120 trading blows with Noctua fans for that sweet spot of C to dBA.
    Look at more than just a spec sheet, look at some reviews.
    i5 3570K @ 4.0Ghz | ASUS P8P67 Evo | 8Gb DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair AX750 | Adata SU800 128GB | FD Arc Midi R2 | Mionix Castor | CM Quickfire (MX black) | DELL U2412M |

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

https://www.rebeltech.co.za/72-case-...ufacturer-ekwb

I really like my EKWB Vardar fans if you don't mind the ugly style
    My computer brings all the viruses to the yard, and they're like - get linux fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestrm_ZA View Post
    @theguppy Im watching you.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Munk View Post
    Spectre Pro 120mm gets rekt -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1274407/f...nd-benchmarks#

Then you see something like the Corsair ML120 trading blows with Noctua fans for that sweet spot of C to dBA.
    Look at more than just a spec sheet, look at some reviews.
    These results are all at full fan speed tho?

Fans are honestly very hard to choose. There are so many specs and reviews each with different testing methods and then the expectation from the fan will change from user to user. I for example don't mind a noisy fan with high airflow when I'm benching, but that same fan must be able to run quiet in normal day-to-day use whilst still pushing some air through the case & radiators. That's why a high flow PWM is the way to go for me. When I bench I crank it up to full speed and get the sort of airflow that no "quiet" fan can give and then during normal use I tone it down a lot using PWM so that my noisy fan that gets rekt in noise vs. temp charts ends up flowing the same air at the same noise level as the "quiet" fans.

Airflow vs. noise over the whole RPM range of the fan is what you really need to decide if a fan will suit your needs. Unfortunately not many fans get tested this way and they only get scored on their performance at full speed.

| Intel® Core™ i7-6700K @ 4.9GHz | ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200MHz | MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G @ 1480/1900 | Corsair AX860 | SK hynix PC300 1TB NVMe | Corsair Obsidian 350D |

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)

I would like to try the new Vardar EVOs that can apparently do 0RPM so would be interesting to see

yes, with fans there is always a choice between the 3 categories: noise, cost, airflow and then the bonus would be aesthetics

yeah, unfortunately one has to go on reviews (which I am not fond of) because there may always be an aspect which you end up preferring than what a reviewer mentioned

I would love to just buy a bunch of fans and run them head to head in fixed scenarios, but at current prices that would just be insane

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Off-The-Chart View Post
    I would like to try the new Vardar EVOs that can apparently do 0RPM so would be interesting to see
    Don't you mean 0dB?
    My computer brings all the viruses to the yard, and they're like - get linux fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestrm_ZA View Post
    @theguppy Im watching you.

Mentioned
    466 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theguppy View Post
    Don't you mean 0dB?
    *reads the about again* nvm

wait, won't 0db mean 0rpm?

but hey, would still like to try them and see the fuss