Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Talk to me about fans (all of them)

Hey guys

I recently have started hearing my one SP120 mounted to my H80i having a bit of a knock at low (~600) rpm's, and as they are about 4 years old along with some much older case fans that I got with my case when I bought it, I was thinking of replacing all my fans with new ones in the aim of getting the PC a bit quieter and cooler.

I currently have the following:

-2x SP120 (variable rpm) push/pull as exhaust (can mount up to 120mm fan here) connected to H80i pump
    -1x generic Cooler Master 140mm (2000rpm fixed) intake in front of HDD bays (can mount up to 140mm fan here) connected to 12V Molex
    -1x generic Cooler Master 140mm (2000rpm fixed) intake in ODD bays (can mount up to 140mm fan here) connected to Chassis Fan header
    -No fan on the top exhaust port (can mount up to 140mm fan here)

NB: My side panel has some horizontal slats in it (with the ability to mount 2x120mm fans here), but I did make a solid perspex one that I have lying around somewhere. I mainly keep the slatted one on so that the GPU can breathe a bit better but I do realise that it can adversely affect airflow. Also, the 2x SP120's are connected to the H80i so I do not need to worry about fan headers for them (my motherboard has 3x chassis fan headers). I do not care much for RGB, but some red lighting accents would be preferable on the intake fans.

I would be needing 2x quietish fans with high static pressure for the H80i and 2x 140mm LED fans which can be controlled from the motherboard ideally. I doubt I will end up with adding another fan on the top as I do not really have any issues with thermals. I am also not against purchasing and installing a fan controller if need be, but the price has to be right of course

Any suggestions, advice and tips would be greatly appreciated!
    i7 3770K | Stock Cooler | Zotac GTX1070 Mini | Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z ROG | 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400 | CM Storm Scout | HX650W | 23" LG 3D | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Win10 Pro

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)

Re: Talk to me about fans (all of them)

Fans running at max RPM all the time? Shudder.
    I would run the two intake fans off the two fan headers on the mobo. Use SpeedFan to control them according to GPU + CPU temp. You'll have a MUCH quieter PC overall.

I haven't been paying attention to new fans lately so I can't provide much input there.
    2008 KTM 990 Adventure | iPhone 7+ 128GB | Apple Watch 2 | Nintendo Wii | 2017 MacBook Pro 13" Touchbar | Baby

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

The HDD bay one runs 12V from the Molex all the time. There is no way to adjust it using the motherboard. Hence why I want them replaced ASAP.

The ODD bay one ramps up and down with the CPU temp (ASUS BIOS' decision, not mine) so I run it at a constant speed the whole time. It's less distracting. I will look into Speedfan. I checked it out years ago when I still had my old P4, but haven't dabbled with it since.

The knock from the one SP120 is probably the loudest component in the PC. It's actually a bit misleading as the entire PC is pretty quiet, but I am very susceptible to changes in sound frequency and pitch and having the PC on my desk about half a metre away is not helping.

I can probably take a dBa reading tonight when I get home to estimate the sound levels I currently hear (if the famous PE wind dies down, that is)
    i7 3770K | Stock Cooler | Zotac GTX1070 Mini | Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z ROG | 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400 | CM Storm Scout | HX650W | 23" LG 3D | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Win10 Pro

Mentioned
    467 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PhireSide View Post
    The HDD bay one runs 12V from the Molex all the time. There is no way to adjust it using the motherboard. Hence why I want them replaced ASAP.
    get a splitter for running 2+ fans on 1 header and it shouldn't be a problem?

https://www.takealot.com/deepcool-fa...oaApgCEALw_wcB

https://www.rebeltech.co.za/14933-ek...-pwm-10cm.html
    Last edited by Off-The-Chart; 22-11-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Off-The-Chart View Post
    get a splitter for running 2+ fans on 1 header and it shouldn't be a problem?

https://www.takealot.com/deepcool-fa...oaApgCEALw_wcB
    Ta. But it uses 12V Molex, not the common 3-pin fan header connector. I would probably need to try and find a resistor that can bring that down to 7 or so volts to see if it makes any discernible difference in noise levels. For that amount of effort I would probably just replace the whole damn fan
    Last edited by PhireSide; 22-11-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    467 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PhireSide View Post
    Ta. But it uses 12V Molex, not the common 3-pin fan header connector. I would probably need to try and find a resistor that can bring that down to 7 or so volts to see if it makes any discernible difference in noise levels. For that amount of effort I would probably just replace the whole damn fan
    how old is that fan that it only has a molex connection?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Off-The-Chart View Post
    how old is that fan that it only has a molex connection?
    As old as the case, circa 2011. I feel that new fans all around would be beneficial to my sanity, not so much to my wallet but eh

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Talk to me about fans too, also looking for quietish fans.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

From my experiences with fans I have learnt the following:

1) Static pressure fans for when you want to move air in a confined space, i.e. through a radiator.

2) Air flow fans are for when you want to move air in a more open space, i.e. for general airflow in a case.

I have always run my Corsair SP120 fans off of a fan controller, between 900 and 1500 rpm. Works for me and isnt too loud. Same with the Bitfenix Spectre Pro LED 120mm fans (max 1200 rpm).

I also use Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm fans for general intake\extraction duty. Again these are on a fan controller, at around 1200 rpm. I had Fractal Design Silent R2 1200mm fans that were quite good at air flow while remaining quiet at 1200 rpm.

So once you know your needs, you can decide on the correct fan type for you.
    Last edited by QYV; 22-11-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    My beloved pile of crap:
    Titan 240 | Asus M4N68T-M V2 | Phenom II x6 1055T + Wraith Cooler | 8Gb Corsair Vengeance LP | GTX 680 Phantom 4Gb | CM Storm Pulse-R headies

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I do know that I will need some high static pressure fans for the rad, so what I had in mind were two Phanteks PH-F120MP @ R169 a pop from Wootware. For the two intake fans, I found some Corsair AF140's for R215 a pop on there as well. I will compare the Phanteks with the current SP120's at some stage.

I haven't been able to measure the sound levels yet as the wind is absolutely howling over here and causing a major racket with the roof lining

I was thinking of taking my DSLR and recording a video which would hopefully give an idea of what I have and what I am working with. It may even give an idea of the noise I have, not that there is much to start off with but I am a bit anal when it comes to silent computing

@QYV, aren't the SP120's very loud above 1000rpm? Mine are audible from around 750rpm. At the moment my fan curve has them at 500rpm at 20*C H80i temp, 1200rpm at 40*C, 1800rpm at 60*C. I have not seen it go above 880rpm with 30mins of Prime95, yet it is still pretty audible at that speed (to me, at least)