Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Need help deciding on what bike to buy :)

Hi,

I don't know a lot about bikes, only ridden a couple. Looking at buying one for myself now.

I have a really low budget so please don't suggest anything extreme, try keep within what I can get.

Looking at: Kawasaki zzr 400, year 2000, mileage unknown, R19 000
    Honda CBR 400, year 2006, mileage 135 000KM, R20 000
    Hyosung GT650R, year 2010, mileage 23 000, R25 000

All come with papers, no accidents and all run and look in decent condition.

Purpose is mainly just to travel highway and town so high speed isn't important, ability to go through traffic a bit more important
    I7 4770| MSI Z87 GD65| GTX 760| Sparta 1000W| Bitfenix Survivor| 2TB WD|1TB SEAGATE|120GB SAMSUNG EVO 850

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)

Re: Need help deciding on what bike to buy :)

Is that 135,000km on the Honda?
    Great bike and good service support but that's some epic mileage for a highly strung 400.

Out of those three I'd go for the Hyosung. The more modern Vtwin will do better than the other two around town and probably give you better fuel consumption despite the 50% greater capacity. If you can get to Centurion then you have a proper Hyosung supplier for parts etc.
    Get the owner to soirt out the license and price that missing mirror; you might get a fright.

This SV looks good. That 650 twin is well known and Suzuki used it in their bikes all thew way up to 2016. If you want to go back to stock plastics then they'll be easy to find at Bike Hospital etc. That SV was a popular bike.
    2008 KTM 990 Adventure | iPhone 7+ 128GB | Apple Watch 2 | Nintendo Wii | Baby

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iamgigglz View Post
    Is that 135,000km on the Honda?
    Great bike and good service support but that's some epic mileage for a highly strung 400.

Out of those three I'd go for the Hyosung. The more modern Vtwin will do better than the other two around town and probably give you better fuel consumption despite the 50% greater capacity. If you can get to Centurion then you have a proper Hyosung supplier for parts etc.
    Get the owner to soirt out the license and price that missing mirror; you might get a fright.

This SV looks good. That 650 twin is well known and Suzuki used it in their bikes all thew way up to 2016. If you want to go back to stock plastics then they'll be easy to find at Bike Hospital etc. That SV was a popular bike.
    I also thought that the mileage is a bit crazy. I was leaning towards the Hyosung but wasn't sure if extra 5K worth it especially since I've never heard of it so no idea if reliable or not. Would you go for the Suzuki or the Hyosung( I could get to centurion)
    I7 4770| MSI Z87 GD65| GTX 760| Sparta 1000W| Bitfenix Survivor| 2TB WD|1TB SEAGATE|120GB SAMSUNG EVO 850

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gh0st47 View Post
    I also thought that the mileage is a bit crazy. I was leaning towards the Hyosung but wasn't sure if extra 5K worth it especially since I've never heard of it so no idea if reliable or not. Would you go for the Suzuki or the Hyosung( I could get to centurion)
    Suzuki, but that particular bike warrants a very close look. It's clearly been modified, or at least it has a custom fairing, so you want to know when, why, by whom, what was changed...all the details. For example you don't want to find yourself having to re-weld mounting points if you want to switch back to the original fairing or discover that the fairing was redone because it was in a huge accident. Also check how effective that headlight is. Aftermarket units aren't often very good. The good ones a hugely expensive.

Assuming it's all good then the Suzuki is a clear winner. It has a much bigger dealer network to lean on, much more readily available parts, both new and second hand, and the build quality (apart from the custom stuff) will be much better than the Hyosung.
    2008 KTM 990 Adventure | iPhone 7+ 128GB | Apple Watch 2 | Nintendo Wii | Baby

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iamgigglz View Post
    Suzuki, but that particular bike warrants a very close look. It's clearly been modified, or at least it has a custom fairing, so you want to know when, why, by whom, what was changed...all the details. For example you don't want to find yourself having to re-weld mounting points if you want to switch back to the original fairing or discover that the fairing was redone because it was in a huge accident. Also check how effective that headlight is. Aftermarket units aren't often very good. The good ones a hugely expensive.

Assuming it's all good then the Suzuki is a clear winner. It has a much bigger dealer network to lean on, much more readily available parts, both new and second hand, and the build quality (apart from the custom stuff) will be much better than the Hyosung.
    I would never have guessed that it was modified lol. wow. So you rate the extra 5K definitely worth it?