Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Small Business Accounting Software

Howsit

Not sure if this is the correct section or not, so mods please move if need be

I recently had my one man band company registered, its getting a bit more serious than the occasional Hardware sales and support gig. In the past everything was done in excel but i feel i would prefer something slightly more user friendly (I am hiring a PA for accounts and stock control) That being said i need an accounting package at little or no cost, something that can handle suplier invoice capturing, client invoicing etc

I have done some support on Pastel and Quick books but im not sure my little endeavour is there yet

Any advice from fellow business owners/accountants will be highly appreciated
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce 1070 Armor OC | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | 2TB WD Red | Corsair Tx750 | Antec P280 | Logitech G500 | Redragon Kumara K552

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Re: Small Business Accounting Software

So I'm not super up to date on the topic, but I know my dad uses Omni Accounts and from what I understand it is very affordable. not 100% sure what the package is called but its either Omni accounts or accounting
    Last edited by Pr3d4t3r; 14-11-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

What alot of our customers use is something called Xero Accounting. https://www.xero.com/za/
    You could also have a look at Sage One which runs in your browser as I believe that is also on the cheaper side.
    You can test a Demo company for Sage One here. https://accounting.sageone.co.za/Das...Workspace.aspx

These are the 2 favourite options our customers and our in-house accountant tends to recommend.
    I7-2600 | Asrock Z77 Fatality Performance | 8gb DDR3 1333 Ram | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1060 6gb | Gigabyte Odin 585w | Phanteks P400s | Redragon Deverajas | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Redragon Siren 2 Headset

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thanks will have a look

Have assisted with Sage in the past, seems pretty decent. Will give them a shout for pricing
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce 1070 Armor OC | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | 2TB WD Red | Corsair Tx750 | Antec P280 | Logitech G500 | Redragon Kumara K552

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

I just signed up with Quickbooks online and its 70% off, so a nice saving. Tried Sage one and it was crap.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoticKing View Post
    I just signed up with Quickbooks online and its 70% off, so a nice saving. Tried Sage one and it was crap.
    +1 for quickbooks and the 70% off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i7 5960x @ 4.5ghz | ASUS Deluxe X99 | Seasonic M12II-750 | Corsair 16gig DDR4 | Corsair H110 | Corsair Air 540 | Corsair K70 | Gigabyte G1 970 | SAMSUNG U28D590D @ 3840 x 2160 | Logitech Z906 | Logitech G930 | Logitech G602

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)

I'm still doing this in Excel, mainly cuz I like to learn about Excel as I need to add more visuals & I have more $ for CUD this way :P

Some suggestions if I may - avoid packages that do local installation, when there is a issue , all hell breaks loose - online & managed by that co is better IMHO. I do a fair bit of Pastel support (usually when Pastel can't fix a issue at my clients that do pay for their Pastel Support), and personally, despite the fact I can possibly fix most of the Pastel issues that I might run into, I would avoid it. That Pervasive SQL seems to cause more kak then anything else...

Re Quickbooks, what a joke... The support in SA was DISGUSTING. In a nutshell a client had it installed on his main PC, but wanted staff to have access on another onsite laptop or 2, and his accountant to have offsite access.... Costs were rather high compared to dumping QB & starting from scratch with Pastel (much to my surprise). In the end I created a workaround by allowing multiple RDP sessions over a VPN (from the accountants side) to the onsite main QB PC. The laptop users also then RDP'ed into the main PC, logged into a Win account that was setup for them, then logged into QB with their User ID etc. Was a cool thing to setup and figure out , but was also stressful for myself & the client. Myself & the client eventually had a shouting match with someone highup in QB RSA, as what various staff would tell you, wouldnt work, and everyone had a diff story why it wont work/must be done like this or that... When I showed them my working solution they also had something to say....

To their credit they did offer to send someone form JHB to look (TeamViewer anyone...) free of charge.

Personally I would rather outsource someone for accounts who then also comes in to check stock, this keeps you free from CCMA B.S VS a fulltime person's costs, and red tape. Outsourced accountant = possibly no Pastel fee. If they're a Pastel Partner, they kind of license Pastel to you, you do your stuff, they check it and do what they need to do and boom. Def worth looking into, saves PLENTY time, and best of all if you're not happy, they are independent, so you can talk to them business owner to business owner / fire them with no CCMa BS. Hiring in SA is a real pain, firing is worse as you have almost no leg to stand on. I do feel companies need to stick to the law, although Gov do a good job at making the law not very favorable when it comes to protecting your business from lazy, no f's to give staff....

Some nice folks here - https://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/forum.php? , some are registred, independent accountants who can do this type of work for you. Pastel also have a list of registered accountants who are Pastel certified / partners.

GL!!!

Uber code -
    zadek3ue

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Quickbooks is definitley the easiest to use, pastel is more complex.
    I have a QB pro 2010 license lying around (we upgraded to 2017) if you want it for free.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by souljazk View Post
    I'm still doing this in Excel, mainly cuz I like to learn about Excel as I need to add more visuals & I have more $ for CUD this way :P

Some suggestions if I may - avoid packages that do local installation, when there is a issue , all hell breaks loose - online & managed by that co is better IMHO. I do a fair bit of Pastel support (usually when Pastel can't fix a issue at my clients that do pay for their Pastel Support), and personally, despite the fact I can possibly fix most of the Pastel issues that I might run into, I would avoid it. That Pervasive SQL seems to cause more kak then anything else...

Re Quickbooks, what a joke... The support in SA was DISGUSTING. In a nutshell a client had it installed on his main PC, but wanted staff to have access on another onsite laptop or 2, and his accountant to have offsite access.... Costs were rather high compared to dumping QB & starting from scratch with Pastel (much to my surprise). In the end I created a workaround by allowing multiple RDP sessions over a VPN (from the accountants side) to the onsite main QB PC. The laptop users also then RDP'ed into the main PC, logged into a Win account that was setup for them, then logged into QB with their User ID etc. Was a cool thing to setup and figure out , but was also stressful for myself & the client. Myself & the client eventually had a shouting match with someone highup in QB RSA, as what various staff would tell you, wouldnt work, and everyone had a diff story why it wont work/must be done like this or that... When I showed them my working solution they also had something to say....

To their credit they did offer to send someone form JHB to look (TeamViewer anyone...) free of charge.

Personally I would rather outsource someone for accounts who then also comes in to check stock, this keeps you free from CCMA B.S VS a fulltime person's costs, and red tape. Outsourced accountant = possibly no Pastel fee. If they're a Pastel Partner, they kind of license Pastel to you, you do your stuff, they check it and do what they need to do and boom. Def worth looking into, saves PLENTY time, and best of all if you're not happy, they are independent, so you can talk to them business owner to business owner / fire them with no CCMa BS. Hiring in SA is a real pain, firing is worse as you have almost no leg to stand on. I do feel companies need to stick to the law, although Gov do a good job at making the law not very favorable when it comes to protecting your business from lazy, no f's to give staff....

Some nice folks here - https://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/forum.php? , some are registred, independent accountants who can do this type of work for you. Pastel also have a list of registered accountants who are Pastel certified / partners.

GL!!!
    Thanks for the advice man, the person i am taking on is more of a part time individual that will assist with the accounts as and when needed. known the person for many years so i doubt ill have issues there. I do get what you are saying though and the outsourcing model works very well here.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnknight View Post
    Quickbooks is definitley the easiest to use, pastel is more complex.
    I have a QB pro 2010 license lying around (we upgraded to 2017) if you want it for free.
    Dude that would be awesome.

Pm sent