Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Vertical gpu mount airflow effect

Hey guys, I am busy modding a case and I am thinking of going the vertical gpu mount route. I googled a bit but cant find the answer I am looking for. I have seen lots of pics of vertical mount systems and in all of them it looks as if the gpu is very close to the glass panel. I want to know how the temps are affected by this? The gpu obviously needs good airflow and if it is 2 cm from the glass then surely the temp will increase? I know blower style coolers push air out the back and normal coolers blows air over the heatsink so both of them requires some space to draw sufficient air. Has anybody tested the differences in temp with horizontal mount and vertical mount? I am looking to buy the vertical mount kit off www.lootsa.co.za as it looks like a sturdy kit.

Any feedback on this will be appreciated

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Re: Vertical gpu mount airflow effect

@chucker02 what is your case/mobo layout will that be flipped 90 deg like the Silverstone Raven 2 case or is the mobo gona be in the standard Atx tower or mobo flat like in most Itx cases.
    Blower style cards seem to have a decrease in heat when mounted vertically i/o side facing the top as heat rises, and they seem to not suffer from being close to the window/side panel. This is my observation between my blower style GTX580 & Asus GTX570 std cooler which did not like being to close to the Window/sidepanel.
    Blank - Blank

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Hey @PowerX, my case layout will be the traditional ATX way with the motherboard fitted the standard way. The case I am modding is a Deepcool Tesseract. The idea is to mount the GPU with the "pretty" side facing the window. I am looking to get a founders edition card, either a 980ti or 1070 or maybe a 1080 as I just love the design of the card. Just looking for some opinions on the temperature difference. The design on the inside of my case that I am using now is pretty much the same as the tesseract but I am cutting the inside of the tesseract to make airflow better. Kinda copied the corsair obsidian 750d airflow edition

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

My 1060 is not even a finger width away from the PSU shroud that is hex-vented with the psu not even a fingers width from the shroud, still get normal temps, in my experience it doesn't affect it to much, what affects it more is the airflow through the case as you don't want turbulent/static hot air sitting around your components, I had a 200mm front fan and switched it for 2x140mm's (All Phanteks fans) and I haven't done much logging of temps but I have seemed to drop around 5 degrees on average and it takes longer to get up to temp(I did a quick test in borderlands 2 on max settings). I'm guessing a std cooler will have more turbulence simply because it blows onto the side panel, but if intake fans are sufficiently hitting he gpu in that vertical position I don't see why it wouldn't just push that hot turbulent air back to the exhaust fan.
    Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Mini ITX // Intel i5 6400 Quad Core 3.3ghz // Corsair Vengeance LED 2x8gb DDR4 2666 Red Led // Zotac 1060 6GB AMP! Edition // Superflower LEadex 750w // Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

@Toy Machine, thanks for the feedback. If all goes to plan then my modded case will have fairly good airflow so I think I can go ahead with the bracket in the case. It will look epic with a vertical gpu and everything else I have planned

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Hallo There

Have a look at the Video. Some Temp figures for Vertical Mounted GPU. Graphs start at about 14 mins in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRsb4C5gLLc&t=914s

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Thanks for the video @Redeye. See there is mixed feelings about it. He also said the a reference style cooler should be better but there is no proof. I dont know, my mind is telling me that it will run hotter due to the space its give to draw air but as Toy machine stated, he didnt see any increase with his card against the psu shroud

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

No Problem. I guess there is only one way to find out. Run it Vertical and Normal and let us know what the results are. Post some Pics of your Case Mod.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Cool I will do so for the sake of science. Will upload a few pics when I am done. Waiting for payday first

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a bitfenix Prodigy (With glass panel) and so my card must be 10mm from the window and that ramps up temps (ASUS Strix 970), if I take the panel off it's much quieter as well. However it looks great! I reckon that 20-25mm will be enough not to starve the card of air and you will be fine, but let us know how it goes!