Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Is SLi still terrible?

Yes!

You can close this thread now.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I'v never used nor setup SLI / Xfire, but my 2 cents on SLI - Sell current card, get newer card with warranty + less power draw + less heat output.

SLI is very dependent on too many factors IE Game, driver, GPU's used, cost of card, cost of elec, increased heat, increased PSU strain, to make it worth while, atleast for my shallow pockets :P . I might be off the mark here, but I can fathom that SLI might also be quite dependent on RAM speed & bandwith between GPU & RAM.

I also pondered getting another 970 G1, but I'd rather sell it & get a 980/1070, maybe even a 1060 6GB as the 1000 series use less power, generate less heat & don't have the 4GB VRAM issue.

Found this artilce on DDR3 VS DDR4 & SLI, nothing magic but might be of some interest.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/...-and-crucial/8

Uber code -
    zadek3ue

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Actually, your question is very open @OP.

SLI is intended for power users. Meaning, you would have to have at least a medium range to top end card. Secondly, you would require to have that much power before you would see any real benefits.

Meaning, I would suggest going SLI in the following scenarios:

1. You have an old card which is SLI capable and can add an additional one to get current gen performance without much cost
    2. Your system can run games, but not at the framerate required. I.e. single card is getting barely 30 frames...You don't need the latest tech to do so (Perhaps pick another card up second hand for cheap?)
    3. Brag rights
    4. Lastly, and this is an important one, your resolutions... If you are comparing SLI results on 1080p with 2x 980ti's you would get bad results. You need to be looking at 1440p+ resolutions to really see the benefit.

Also, different developers put more effort into the programming.

In my personal rig I have 3x 980's and I am running 3440 x 1440, on top of that I have another 2HD monitors + HD Sony tv, so 4 in total. And I require some beefy setup to run all of it. Especially when I start streaming, playing games and putting on a series/movie/anime on the TV.

My results differ from the other results in that I experienced much better scaling. Some games up to 90%scaling

Below I have a link which you can follow to show what improvements at different resolutions you get with the top 25 games.

And they are well above 25%, especially if you go to higher resolutions.

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/gtx-...ce-25-games/3/

Although these above are pure performance talk and there is more to it than just fps.

You would have to consider the power consumption, the airflow of the case cause they tend to get hot and then lastly also the diminishing returns (Cost)

For me, I have had both air cooled and watercooled cards, single, dual and tri SLI systems. The water takes the hotness right out of the equation and you save about 30-50 degrees pending on work load and ambient temps. But I experienced that air gave only a slight increase in temps with good airflow. I think it was a 5 degree difference over a single card.

Power consumption: Okay lets be honest, the latest tech really does use less power and we are not in the days of the GTX 480/RX290 which required a freaking 1KW+ power supply for SLI/Crossfire setups.
    On average I use about 400-600W of power, pending the load and if I OC my system and bench it, it spikes to 750W average and sometimes 900W pending the situation.

According to Videocardz.com both the 980ti and the 1080ti use 250W of power. So performance increased from one gen to the next gen while keeping the TDP the same, which is amazing, but it would not necessarily change the requirement of your PSU for SLI. Meaning, you still need a 850W PSU for SLI, but not a 1200W+, as I have shown, my Corsair AX1200i showed a maximum of 900W with 3x 980's, and I have a LOT of stuff in my pc.

It basically comes down to what you require, what resolutions you are playing at, and what you can afford. If you can afford 4x 1080ti's, go for it.... but it would not change the fact that you would get diminishing returns beyond 2x cards... even from single to duo GPU's at 1080p with such a powerful card...

My 2 cents worth.
    My PC brings all the nerds to tha yard, and they like "Mine's better than yours, I can teach you, but I have to charge... Nha nhaa,nha nha nhaaa..."

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by z3llin View Post
    The price to performance ratio is rarely worth it.
    Basically this.

Buy the best single GPU you can afford and be done with it.
    Less power, less heat.

Also less admin, less hassles/tweaks/fiddling = more time to play games.
    Last edited by HiToKiRi; 12-10-2017 at 07:31 PM.
    Pentium 166Mhz | 16MB RAM | S3 Trio VGA 1MB | 3DFX Voodoo2 12MB | 1.6GB HDD

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

I'm really happy I got a 980Ti. It's what I needed - good to very good 1440P performance and I'm very happy that I went for that over a 580.

I was largely curious as maybe SLi in the future would be a good idea for 4K but I doubt it.
    Cards age quite quickly these days and support tails off. I will see but at the moment, my rig is great.
    | i7 3770 / Zotac Z77 / 16gigs of DDR3 / Elite 130 / SuperFlower Leadex 650 / EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC GAMING ACX / Nuprime uDSD / Delid Mate & Relid v2 | Dutchie 6' 2" KingFish / DSD 6' 6" Hybrid / Magic Shot 9' Longboard |

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

I also think that the next gen of cards will be focussed towards 4K gaming and have 20gigs of VRAM plus other features to make it run at full pelt.
    That's when 4K really will take off, I think, but that's just speculation.

From there, I think the 1080Ti and other cards will suffer in price in a huge way. I also think that support for the 900 series will basically drop off a cliff and driver updates will be focussed towards 4K games and 4K GPUs. That'll make SLi basically impossible for the 900 series.

I hope 4K screens become cheaper and 1440P becomes the new entry level as 1080P has.
    | i7 3770 / Zotac Z77 / 16gigs of DDR3 / Elite 130 / SuperFlower Leadex 650 / EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC GAMING ACX / Nuprime uDSD / Delid Mate & Relid v2 | Dutchie 6' 2" KingFish / DSD 6' 6" Hybrid / Magic Shot 9' Longboard |

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Any thoughts on SLI 970's? I have watched done or two benchmarks vids of comparisons against a 1060 and they seem to pull ahead more often than not, then again it balances out depending on the games being played so one must consider which titles they are going to be playing to get the best performance for what they are going to be using the hardware for.
    Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Mini ITX // Intel i5 6400 Quad Core 3.3ghz // Corsair Vengeance LED 2x8gb DDR4 2666 Red Led // Zotac 1060 6GB AMP! Edition // Superflower LEadex 750w // Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JollyJamma View Post
    I also think that the next gen of cards will be focussed towards 4K gaming... That's when 4K really will take off, I think, but that's just speculation.
    Yeah this is what I am holding out for. I've been stuck on the same 1080p screen since '08 and itching to go bigger but don't think buying into 1440p right now is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Machine View Post
    Any thoughts on SLI 970's? I have watched done or two benchmarks vids of comparisons against a 1060 and they seem to pull ahead more often than not, then again it balances out depending on the games being played so one must consider which titles they are going to be playing to get the best performance for what they are going to be using the hardware for.
    If you have one its an extra 2.5k (if you source from carb) for maybe 60% performance increase IF the game has a profile to support SLI. Considering the amount of games that have that the Expected Value is quite low. Also the 3.5GB memory means it will really struggle on higher resolutions.
    Rather put that R2500 in an investment account and save to buy next gen.
    Last edited by z3llin; 13-10-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    My Rig: is good enough to play the games.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Machine View Post
    If you stick to 1080P and can get a 970 for dirt cheap then sure, it'll work but the 3.5gig VRAM is a problem.

That said, the 970 has very low power draw and is generally quite cheap second hand. Just get the exact model as the one you have. REmember, SLi doesn't add the VRAM of both cards together, it shares the VRAM so you're limited.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blatt View Post
    In my opinion it is a waste of money

I have 2 x GTX 1070, in PUBG it does not even use the one card, it sits back and idle (This was a month or 2 ago)

In Wildlands I did see a bit of an improvement on the FPS but the gain was not that good, 20% almost sounds a bit optimistic, especially not what you pay for the card.

This is just my experience with the 2 games I tested though
    Pubg is still in beta ..... And not optimized at all maybe try a newer and more polished game ?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk