Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Re: Toyota 86 Opinions and Residual Question

Can I offer 2c

Don't run yourself up with debt for a car. If a residual is required to reduce the monthly payment then you can't afford it in the 1st place.
    Car debt is one of the main reasons why people live like scrubs, month to month. Its a bad habit just like smoking for example that needs to be ditched.

Also, the 86 is not a good car at all - it looks good on the outside and that's about the only positive thing I can say.
    P3 450mhz - Intel mobo - 512mb ram - Riva TNT 8mb - Maxtor 40gb - Sammy 17" CRT

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    Can I offer 2c

Don't run yourself up with debt for a car. If a residual is required to reduce the monthly payment then you can't afford it in the 1st place.
    Car debt is one of the main reasons why people live like scrubs, month to month. Its a bad habit just like smoking for example that needs to be ditched.

Also, the 86 is not a good car at all - it looks good on the outside and that's about the only positive thing I can say.
    Problem is can some people afford to live without a car. Getting to work and back. Having kid/s. Needing to get them around. Emergencies etc etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    * intel i7 6700 * MSI z170A Gaming M7 * 16gb Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 * Zotac 1080ti AmpEd * Dell S2417DG 165hz 1440p*

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crack2483 View Post
    Problem is can some people afford to live without a car. Getting to work and back. Having kid/s. Needing to get them around. Emergencies etc etc.

Yeah coz getting an 86 is an absolute must have for transporting kids, general run around and emergencies etc.
    My post is directed at the idea of getting a nice to have little sportscar, but racking up debt in order to get it. And not about a bare necessity Tata or corolla or whatever.
    Last edited by Machine; 12-10-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    P3 450mhz - Intel mobo - 512mb ram - Riva TNT 8mb - Maxtor 40gb - Sammy 17" CRT

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PHalanKS View Post
    I see... a ToyOta and a ToyBoy...

"First for women" is basically a scam. You may as well go on hippo and compare some of the 40 different companies that are all telesure. Rather find good broker. It might be worthwhile to move your car insurance onto a policy under her name but with you as the driver.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Haha, I guess you could call me a ToyBoy, but actually I punched above my weight and won ... LOL ... I'm 30, so it's not like I'm a kid dating an older lady XD

I will definitely look into moving the car insurance, she has been with F4W since before I met her, so I never really got a say in that part of her life ... but thanks for the headsup ... Will definitely look into it (if you have some places I can start looking, definitely let me know)

Can I offer 2c

So far you are the only person saying it's not a good car at all ... care to elaborate ?

I was actually asking how residual works because I have never used it before and although I have a general concept of how it works I wanted to get some more details, like how do trade-ins with residual work, etc. We budget for a car allowance so to speak, which was the R4.5k I mentioned in a previous post and that is money that we deduct from our total earnings before we start with the main component of our budget. (basically we take total earnings, minus the must have debt that happens every month with fixed amounts like the car, rent, elec, etc) ... Then we take the earnings left minus debt we created with that figure in mind, clothing accounts, phones, internet, etc ... we never create debt or spend on account unless there are funds available from our "play money")

Theoretically we could afford the R5k a month no hassle, but why push the limit with no real gain behind it, that is why I was looking for something that already was in the R4.5k car allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by crack2483 View Post

I agree with this, while an 86 is definitely not a necessity, a car now days is definitely one. I drive 50-80km a day since we have 1 vehicle and the wife and I work in opposite directions, without the car, we would be up poos creek without a paddle
    ||4960X || Rampage IV Black Edition || 16GB Dominator Platinum 2133mhz || Asus GTX1080Ti FE || Corsair RM1000i||

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Can I offer 2c

Some of us donít want hot hatches. My 86 has its flaws but it puts a smile on my face when I drive it and thatís good enough for me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I owned one of these cars for close on three years. It's not particularly practical - but then you wouldn't expect it to be.

I had a few mechanicals during my ownership of the vehicle and each time it took about a month to get the problem diagnosed, parts in from Japan (local stock of parts is woeful), fitted, etc.
    Dealers for example, don't always even keep oil for the thing around, because no other Toyota uses the same damn oil.

It's a very fun to drive car though. You can push revs without getting into too much trouble, which is a benefit of the lack of power, believe it or not. You're also low to the ground, so it feels fast.
    The drive is harsh, but you get used to that very quickly. My wife's Golf VII GTI felt like a Merc, compared to it. The Golf feels like the 86, compared to my current car, which is a M-sport BMW 330D.

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)

Haven't bothered reading 7 pages.

Let me guess... the one at Pinnacle with supposedly 900km on the clock?

The long and the short of it, it's a slow, uncomfortable and impractical POS... not worth indebting yourself for - especially not if you'd have to take a residual deal, as they depreciate like stones. Early examples from 2012-2013 with very reasonable mileage can be picked up for well under R200k.

Throw another 100 kW at it, and I'd say it's an interesting proposition if you can pick one up well below market... but as-is, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
    Donít attribute to malice, that which is adequately explained by stupidity...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Haven't bothered reading 7 pages.

Let me guess... the one at Pinnacle with supposedly 900km on the clock?

The long and the short of it, it's a slow, uncomfortable and impractical POS... not worth indebting yourself for - especially not if you'd have to take a residual deal, as they depreciate like stones. Early examples from 2012-2013 with very reasonable mileage can be picked up for well under R200k.

Throw another 100 kW at it, and I'd say it's an interesting proposition if you can pick one up well below market... but as-is, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
    But But.... I like it.... You hurted my fweelings :'(

I7 6700 - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix - MAXIMUS Ranger - 32GB Hyper X DDR4 2400MHZ - 2x 500GB Crucial SSD

Mentioned
    308 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by D3TTOL View Post
    But But.... I like it.... You hurted my fweelings :'(
    Not nearly as much as trade offers would hurt when you want to get rid of an 86....
    Donít attribute to malice, that which is adequately explained by stupidity...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Not nearly as much as trade offers would hurt when you want to get rid of an 86....
    That is 100% fine with me

All my vehicles to date I buy with my heart and not my head. I buy to keep. If finances allow it I will keep all my bikes and my cars if I get any.

I7 6700 - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix - MAXIMUS Ranger - 32GB Hyper X DDR4 2400MHZ - 2x 500GB Crucial SSD