Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Re: Anyone handy with a welding machine

Oh come one @D3TTOL its just welding 2 pieces together, you just gotta do that over and over about 100 times that's all.
    If you could talk to your pops that would be great. So just the frame without the suspension bits and all the xtras. If you could perhaps get his thoughts on the complexities, challenges, suggestions, rough idea on cost.

I am not in too much of a hurry though, I have been given the green light provided I complete my e36 restoration first lol
    CM Cosmos | MSI Z97 Sli Krait | i7 4770k Ultracooled | 2x4GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz | EVGA FTW GTX1080 | Seasonic M12II EVO 620 | Intel 520 240GB | Custom WC Loop| Aoc Agon AG241QX | Xonar D1 - Astro Mixamp - JBL S700 | Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire | Roccat Kone XTD

Mentioned
    140 Post(s)

Anyone handy with a welding machine

Yeah I can build something like that. Going to take at least +200 hours to build it though. Iím sure a pro that does that daily would be able to do it quicker.

At R350 an hour which is on the lower scale for fabrication you looking at 70k to build it. Labour only.

Depends on your end goal though. If you just want something to mess about and not take too serious then Iím sure you can do it yourself or ask the oom down the road to make it.

If youíre going to build something thatís safe or possibly race on the other hand then its going cost you.

IMO I would rather have a professional frame builder build it.

Its going to be expensive but goedkoop koop is duur koop plus you cannot put a price on safety.

Why not look at a kit car? Lotus 7 etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Toi; 13-10-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kay150 View Post
    Oh come one @D3TTOL its just welding 2 pieces together, you just gotta do that over and over about 100 times that's all.
    If you could talk to your pops that would be great. So just the frame without the suspension bits and all the xtras. If you could perhaps get his thoughts on the complexities, challenges, suggestions, rough idea on cost.

I am not in too much of a hurry though, I have been given the green light provided I complete my e36 restoration first lol
    Before I even contact him, Remember I said he is in Howick... Close to Pietermaritzburg.

I7 6700 - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix - MAXIMUS Ranger - 32GB Hyper X DDR4 2400MHZ - 2x 500GB Crucial SSD

Randburg/Bryanston,Victory Park - Johannesburg
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

a lotus 7 rep would be a better start, and you have the option of buying a kit in different stages for your skill level (this saves your on engineering a frame from a picture)

check out http://www.locost.co.za/

best bet would be teach yourself to tig weld tbh
    Yay! im back! Extra Feedback while I was away : http://cdn.overclock.net/e/e6/e6da5293_feedback.png

Mentioned
    315 Post(s)

Your best bet is to contact a shop like TNT or similar that specializes in building roll cages.

A frame like that isn't just a matter of gooiing a few pipes together - there are special join notches and critical reinforcements that need to be done to ensure it fits properly, that it's laterally rigid (to avoid flexing when cornering) and that it maintains its structure in the event of a rollover or a crash... normal T-joins won't cut it in an application like this.

Similarly, constant radius / mandrel bending is essential - you can't use a normal pipe bender that kinks the metal, as it compromises the rigidity.

You also need to consider the material cost, strength and weight... you'd ideally want to go with high quality steel like 4130 chromoly... it's seamless, lighter and stronger than mild steel, but significantly more expensive, more difficult to weld, and ideally requires heat treating after welding for maximum strength.

Or you could just hack and slash together a mild steel cage and hope for the best.

I guess it all boils down to your budget and the intended engine + application --- figure that out before you embark on a project like this, and add 50% to your initial budget figure... if you can't afford to drop that on a toy, then just shitcan the idea before you even start - or else you'll wind up selling your partially completed project car for peanuts in a few months, because you can't afford to complete it.

Unless you can fabricate it yourself, something like this will wind up costing you just as much a decent second-hand road-legal toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    a lotus 7 rep would be a better start, and you have the option of buying a kit in different stages for your skill level (this saves your on engineering a frame from a picture)

check out http://www.locost.co.za/

best bet would be teach yourself to tig weld tbh
    A Lotus 7 replica only has so much space to fit an engine, and it goes in the front.... while they're immensely capable in their own right, the can't really hold a candle to what you can do with a proper ground-up rear-engined design.

Horses for courses.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 13-10-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    Donít attribute to malice, that which is adequately explained by stupidity...

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Yea, What the billy bob said.

My father would probably suggest using high strength quality materials and he would charge quite a bit for doing it all. It's not going to be cheap.

I7 6700 - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix - MAXIMUS Ranger - 32GB Hyper X DDR4 2400MHZ - 2x 500GB Crucial SSD