Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Oh on a side note to everyone. The Netflix deal meant that netflix now can stream all of Star Treks back catalogue series
    intel 4570S | 12GB RAM | Asus H97M-E | GTX 1070 | Bitfenix Prodigy M

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I love star trek, but this show just left a bad taste in my mouth. I made it through the first episode and then tried the second, turned it off half way through. Story feels flat, dialogue was terrible, and the entire klingon dialogue was just so painful on the ears. So yeah won't be watching this thing any longer.
    I don't know, to me it really feels like pretty standard Star Trek series stuff. Maybe a bit more modern but still. And the Klingon is at least not completely butchered
    i7 4770K||ASUS Z97 MARK S SABERTOOTH LIMITED EDITION #1669||16GB Corsair VENGEANCE||*TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE*||OCULUS RIFT

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The first 2 episodes were a prologue. They were average at best, but haven't we seen previous Star Trek episodes that were mediocre? We must still be introduced to most of the main characters, so let's wait and see.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

I have every episode of every start trek show and even watched that Walter Koenig abortion pilot episode..
    Its not bad. Took me a while to place the timeline(okay 5 minutes) but its in glorious HDR...haters gotta suckkit!!
    People who think they know everything are of great annoyance to those of us that do - Isaac Asimov

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sal12345 View Post
    i have every episode of every start trek show and even watched that walter koenig abortion pilot episode..
    Its not bad. Took me a while to place the timeline(okay 5 minutes) but its in glorious hdr...haters gotta suckkit!!
    this!!! So much this!!! Xd
    i7 4770K||ASUS Z97 MARK S SABERTOOTH LIMITED EDITION #1669||16GB Corsair VENGEANCE||*TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE*||OCULUS RIFT

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

I don't know ey. Watched Episode 3 yesterday night and I'm starting to have second thoughts on it. Gonna sound bad...but it feels more like Star Wars than Star Trek.

I understand the story they're going towards and trying to tell (no spoilers) but I don't think that lends itself well to Star Trek. It doesn't have the classic science feel. The need for hope and the realisation of a better future.

It simply feels like another action shooter set vaguely in the Trekkie verse. Forgive me if I'm wrong, I think it is Prime?

Anyway, will give it more of a chance and carry on watching but I'm starting to get cold feet about it...

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

Also, as a side note...I'm interested to know what you guys think... I'm not sure how they're planning on framing the Klingons for the rest of the show but they really don't feel like the bad guys right now.

Their motives for what they wish to do don't seem all that bad actually. Willing to ensure their independence and individuality and whatnot. Mmmmm...

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Having watched all the previous star treks and finishing episode 3 last night I think the show has good potential. The episode have been enjoyable so far, albeit light on classic star trek formula of encountering a problem and solving it through discovering something. That said they have laid a good introduction and the story arc is interesting. The characters seem to be more human and I found them more interesting so far than many of the previous series' crews, notably they appear to be subject to normal human failings and in retrospect seem more believable than most in previous series.

With the Klingon *"problem" it will be interesting to see how the ship and crew maintain the "hope and the realization of a better future" and the conflict of solving the *"problem" v star fleets principles. I agree with @BARGUILD that the Klingon's are not portrayed as bad, similarly I would not say the star fleet ship and crew are good, which makes it interesting.

I will keep watching.

*used to prevent spoilers
    Last edited by Dilli; 03-10-2017 at 05:50 PM.
    Avid gamer since MS-DOS 6.0
    Steam

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

my enthusiasm is eroding with every episode I watch. yesterday's 'Choose your pain', was particularly bad. I loved the SciFi of Star Trek previous generations, but what I loved most were the delicate handling of dilemma in the face of certain death, the morals, the monologues and wit that portrayed a deeply advanced civilization that had long abandoned our failings as humans of today.

But now to have proud rogue captains with unlimited control and power, condemned crew members allowed to engage with the captain on the bridge not to mention completely disregarding captains orders in just about every episode so far etc, is just such a departure from what Star Trek stood for. I mean, what happened to the prime directive? All of a sudden the entire star fleet has no problem hunting down exotic creatures for their own personal selfish war efforts. And since when do crew members swear? Aij.

Then comes the unoriginal concept of the mycelium spores, a life form that pervades throughout all space and has unlimited power.. Reminded me of the midichlorians of star wars, aka the Force.

I could go on and on about how I despise this reboot, but in the end I will probably continue watching it anyway unless it goes from bad to worse.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

hey guys

enjoying it but not the lead actors are a bit meh,
    fx are great but that typical of a netflix original series.

wish they would add in more Klingon scenes , enjoyed the Klingon lore more.