Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)

AMD AM4 Overclocking and Tuning Thread

I had always thought about this but time is the one thing I rarely have if ever.
    Either way, I thought to start an AMD AM4 overclocking thread. Obviously this is for the current Ryzen CPUs and it'll extend to the 2nd generation ones as well in the future. For now though if you have a 1600/1700/1800 show your tuning skills.
    The clock limits for these CPUs is low so it isn't a lucky bin kind of thing you'll have to deal with.
    All you'll need is your memory tuning skills mostly regardless of what board you're using.

In the interest of using short benchmarks, I think it's safe to rely on
    SuperPi 32M (Yeah it's long but highly sensitive to memory tuning)
    3DMark11 Performance (If you have the advanced version you can add seperate Physics scores which are insanely sensitive to memory tuning)
    GeekBench 3 (This benchmark has a free version which is 32-bit, but you're better off with a 64-bit run as it's faster. That said, let's all settle on 32-bit as it's free)
    RatGPU
    3DMark FireStrike
    AIDA64 memory bandwidth
    Unigine Superposition benchmark (1080P High)

Over the months, I've spent a long time with the AM4 platform but avoiding a particular board (not because it isn't good it is, but it's not cooked yet to where it will be soon if you know what I mean)
    Screenshots please for everything.

* CPU is locked to 4GHz here so between 3995 and 4005MHz
    * AMD is great because you can use all those fine.25x multipliers
    * Using B-Die based DRAM of course and the whole point of B-die is what it allows you to do with timings and frequency. (Not the rubbish media writes about it and throw the word/term around like some stamp of validation. B-die is slow at default)

First Up - DDR4 2933MHz C10-11-11-34-1T 1.65V (This is where B-DIE shines, not XMP!)
    ====================================

Last edited by Gouhan; 09-06-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    Everyday I know less and less about more and more.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Re: AMD AM4 Overclocking and Tuning Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gouhan View Post
    I had always thought about this but time is the one thing I rarely have if ever.
    Either way, I thought to start an AMD AM4 overclocking thread. Obviously this is for the current Ryzen CPUs and it'll extend to the 2nd generation ones as well in the future. For now though if you have a 1600/1700/1800 show your tuning skills.
    The clock limits for these CPUs is low so it isn't a lucky bin kind of thing you'll have to deal with.
    All you'll need is your memory tuning skills mostly regardless of what board you're using.

In the interest of using short benchmarks, I think it's safe to rely on
    SuperPi 32M (Yeah it's long but highly sensitive to memory tuning)
    3DMark11 Performance (If you have the advanced version you can add seperate Physics scores which are insanely sensitive to memory tuning)
    GeekBench 3 (This benchmark has a free version which is 32-bit, but you're better off with a 64-bit run as it's faster. That said, let's all settle on 32-bit as it's free)
    RatGPU
    3DMark FireStrike
    AIDA64 memory bandwidth
    Unigine Superposition benchmark (1080P High)

Over the months, I've spent a long time with the AM4 platform but avoiding a particular board (not because it isn't good it is, but it's not cooked yet to where it will be soon if you know what I mean)
    Screenshots please for everything.

* CPU is locked to 4GHz here so between 3995 and 4005MHz
    * AMD is great because you can use all those fine.25x multipliers
    * Using B-Die based DRAM of course and the whole point of B-die is what it allows you to do with timings and frequency. (Not the rubbish media writes about it and throw the word/term around like some stamp of validation. B-die is slow at default)

First Up - DDR4 2933MHz C10-11-11-34-1T 1.65V (This is where B-DIE shines, not XMP!)
    ====================================

Those are some high voltages on cpu standard over clocks. Is that correct thou.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    351 Post(s)

Argh... IMGUR is down.
    As for the voltages, they are fine as they are for overclocking and benchmarks.
    For 24/7 use I can go down to 1.35V but CPU clock goes down as well to 3.9GHz. A lot of people claim 4GHz at 1.3V or something, ask them to run HyperPi and the system keels over.
    The 14nmLLP that Ryzen is built on needs ever increasing voltage for minor boosts in frequency. This is purely about performance though and not 24/7 use. Moreover my cooler is more than capable of handling it ^^
    Last edited by Gouhan; 09-06-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Mentioned
    351 Post(s)

Nice place to stash this bit.
    I heard, somewhere, somehow from someone, some time ago that thread ripper was likely going to see some upset customers.
    It's not the performance as that's great, but the fact that the CPU is so big, and that LGA socket has so many pins. If it's not installed correctly, with the sleeve, the mounting order etc the system may not even POST at all. It's supremely sensitive and uneven pressure even a little can lead to this as well. It's a delicate process. The boards are not cheap, at least I don't know of a cheap board.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gouhan View Post
    Nice place to stash this bit.
    I heard, somewhere, somehow from someone, some time ago that thread ripper was likely going to see some upset customers.
    It's not the performance as that's great, but the fact that the CPU is so big, and that LGA socket has so many pins. If it's not installed correctly, with the sleeve, the mounting order etc the system may not even POST at all. It's supremely sensitive and uneven pressure even a little can lead to this as well. It's a delicate process. The boards are not cheap, at least I don't know of a cheap board.
    Hi there.... well I decided enough is enough. Q-code 95 and no start.... think the 5930k is dying.... 2nd and it was not even clocked.

What Im getting at is Ill soon have the Ryzen 7 1700 with the Asus X370 Crosshair 6 Hero to post some benchmarks. You know Ive been contemplating this for a while so now is the time. I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME CORE - DELL U2717D

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Im currently running 1.325v @ 3.8GHZ on my R5 1600. However I do not have B-die kit of memory. I have SK Hynix Corsair Vengeance 3200 C16 and I cannot get it stable on 3200. I will try tighten the timings but no ways I can get it that tight I reckon. I am using a Asus X370 Prime Pro mobo too.
    Anyone got experience with the memory I am using?
    Current Rig; Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8 with 1.325v under CM Hyper212+ | Asus X370-Prime Pro | Corsair Veng 3200CL16 | MSI GTX 960 4GB OC | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | BenQ XL2411Z 144hz | SuperLux HD681 Evo | Seasonic 620W M12-II | Steelseries 100 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro |

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VulcanX View Post
    Im currently running 1.325v @ 3.8GHZ on my R5 1600. However I do not have B-die kit of memory. I have SK Hynix Corsair Vengeance 3200 C16 and I cannot get it stable on 3200. I will try tighten the timings but no ways I can get it that tight I reckon. I am using a Asus X370 Prime Pro mobo too.
    Anyone got experience with the memory I am using?
    I have the same problem, not much you can do.... At least I am stuck at the 2666 rated speed but cannot go any higher. I'm in the process of selling my ram to get some memory capable of running with Ryzen without much issues.

The below is where I am right now..... Memory holding my score back alot.

Used Firestrike Ultra as the cpu has less influence in GPU performance.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME CORE - DELL U2717D

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

4.015GH is the highest stable OC I can get without pushing my VCore too high.

I'll start to OC my RX580 as well, as do another FireStrike bench.
    But think that Cinebench is prob a better indicator for CPU OC'ing.

Inaestuo Adversus Machina
    Why stand on a silent platform?
    Fight the war...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Dammmit!!!

Seem like I would need to upgrade my PSU to properly OC my mini Ryzen1800x/RX580 rig.
    It's currently using my old 450W Silverstone ST45SF-G SFX PSU, which is great for either CPU or GFX OC'ing.. but not for both
    Inaestuo Adversus Machina
    Why stand on a silent platform?
    Fight the war...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

@Wolvebain Isn't 1.55 VCore a tad high?

I'm not too familiar with the ryzen CPU's
    | i7 8700K || EVGA GTX1080 FE || MSI Z370 Tomahawk || Corsair H80i V2 || CM MasterGel Maker || 16GB Corsair RGB DDR4 3466 || Antec TP-750-C || CM MasterBox Lite 5 || Acer GN246HL 144Hz |