Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3676848586

Thread: Bikers!?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Bikers!?

Quote Originally Posted by D3TTOL View Post
    I thought the bike had vuma everywhere in the rev range or maybe you comparing it to a 990SDuke where the midrange starts around 4k?
    Compared to the R1200RS and RnineT I rode on the very same day the XR felt like a 2-stroke that did absolutely nothing at low revs and was a nightmare to manage in traffic.

It was also bizarrely uncomfortable to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Compared to the R1200RS and RnineT I rode on the very same day the XR felt like a 2-stroke that did absolutely nothing at low revs and was a nightmare to manage in traffic.

It was also bizarrely uncomfortable to me.
    I have they same opinion on the XR's engine even the S1000R has more to give sub 3500rpm. But did find the XR strangely enough have a comfortable riding position for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by George S View Post
    I have they same opinion on the XR's engine even the S1000R has more to give sub 3500rpm. But did find the XR strangely enough have a comfortable riding position for me.
    Maybe uncomfortable was a bit strong a word, rather less comfortable than the other two bikes on the day.

The seat pushes you into the tank and really offers you only that one position without the option to move around.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

I assume that is a reference to the R1200R because the others mentioned aren't Boxers.

Go ride it at the very least.

Guess your definition of lazy is the opposite of mine because I have that opinion of the S1000 motor that you need to rev the shit out of to get anywhere. It's got nothing where it matters most for day to day riding and that's why I didn't buy one. The S1000 is a chore in traffic "clutch clutch clutch, rev rev rev" the whole time.

But yes the engine is a very flat torque curve and can be a bit boring at the lower end in that regard. My Buell for instance was much more lively from idle. However going over 5000rpm the Boxer can surprise you.

KTM has always failed me from a dealership perspective which is probably why I own one.

Every time I've wanted to try one even with money in hand and ready to buy they've failed by either not caring to even speak to me in the showroom or as in your case not having a bike.

When the original Superduke came out before I bought my Buell it was just a little tall for my liking and skill level at the time and even that was from a third party second hand dealer.

Which is why I had no love for the S1000 either. Inline 4's bore me to death so I fully understand why the Superduke would moisten your loins.

I would however still buy the "lazy" BMW instead.

Different strokes. I ride my bikes a long time and don't just trade them in after two years otherwise a KTM might have passed.
    Lazy probably isn't quite the best word to use.
    The boxer has torque and pulls nicely, but rev the thing as much as you want and it doesn't pull you back off your seat. It sorta just plods a bit faster and the speed climbs the faster it plods.

They not bad engines, I have ridden loads of boxer BMs and have found them to be really good at covering long distances more comfortably than others. And the engine will maintain the plodding up a hill just as easily as down a hill.

I7 6700 - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix - MAXIMUS Ranger - 32GB Hyper X DDR4 2400MHZ - 2x 500GB Crucial SSD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I know what you mean.

It's very utilitarian and does it's job almost a little too well and is therefore boring.

Much like an RS4 is more boring than a Scirocco R because it grips too well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Maybe uncomfortable was a bit strong a word, rather less comfortable than the other two bikes on the day.

The seat pushes you into the tank and really offers you only that one position without the option to move around.
    I understand what you are saying, its almost like a car seat, if keeps you in that 1 position and you can not move a bit when cornering or when on a long journey.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by George S View Post
    I understand what you are saying, its almost like a car seat, if keeps you in that 1 position and you can not move a bit when cornering or when on a long journey.
    Yeah some people like being wedged in place like that I don't particularly fancy it.

Mentioned
    433 Post(s)

I agree with most of what's being said about the boxer, but I've experienced one exception: the R nineT. I was lucky enough to borrow my FIL's for two weeks and did all my commuting on it.
    The power & torque numbers are exactly the same as the GS, but for some reason that bike enjoyed being revved a bit...just a bit mind you. It redlines at 8500rpm but doesn't like anything over its 7550rpm max power point.
    Between about 5 and 7 grand it comes alive though; the exhaust note changes and there's a serious "Vtec just kicked in yo" feeling. Pretty sure it has everything to do with the flap in the exhaust opening up but I'm not sure.
    I've also done a lot of mileage on the weird-looking 2007 R1200ST which felt very different. I think BMW made some significant changes to the boxer over the years and you can feel it. If I bought a non-LC boxer it would have to be a later model.
    2008 KTM 990 Adventure | iPhone 7+ 128GB | Apple Watch 2 | Nintendo Wii | 2017 MacBook Pro 13" Touchbar | Baby